Sterilisation between Generations

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Sterilisation between Generations

Postby Maximus_Moonshine » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:27 am

Hi all and a very happy Father's day to all the Dad's out there. Hope you're sipping something nice!
I have a question about sterilising between fermentations when doing a recipe with generations. Do you keep using the same fermentation vessel, leaving the the yeast sediment on the bottom, or do you remove the sediment, sterilise your vessel (or use a pre-cleaned one) and then add the sediment, backset etc to the clean vessel? I've been running on the assumptions that;
    a) the vessel remains relatively sterile if it starts clean and is carefully maintained throughout the generations and
    b) If there is an infection, it's going to carry across to a clean vessel in the sediment anyway.
But, as I advance through to the 3rd gen of my first try at MacRum, I'm getting concerned about the potential for a cumulative effect.

Appreciate the input as always!

Cheers
Maximus_Moonshine

equipment: Turbo 500 reflux and alembic pot

Re: Sterilisation between Generations

Postby bluess57 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:34 am

I do UJSM , same vessel.
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby bluc » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:36 am

Yea so long as it cleans originally generally you don't get nasties due to low ph and alcohol content. You may get lacto infection but for sour mashed whiskey its not an issue.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:59 pm

It's a good idea to keep some backset and freeze it so you can restart your generations again if it becomes infected. This way you're not starting back at gen 1. This is easy enough to do since you'll have plenty leftover in the boiler each run but only use some as backset.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Plumby » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:43 pm

When I was making ujssm I got up to around gen 35-40 same yeast, same fermenter. Just swapped out around 1/2 the corn bed every 8-10 gens and kept the backset on the low side. If fermentation was slower than normal next gen I skipped the backset. Its not rocket surgery man, you will find a system that works for you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Must add: When I started gen 1 I sanitized my fermenter by dumping around 10 litres of boiling water into it then let that sit with the lid on for 15 minutes. Then dumped that water and got stuck into it.
Last edited by Plumby on Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby YarraRanges » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:21 pm

I wash the fermenter with a hot pressure wash. If I have any doubts about an infection I use sodium metabisulphate to sanitise it.
I once tried doing another ferment with lees left in the fermenter and it became infected. Never again. I do 200 litre ferments. $75 in sugar, tomato paste and yeast down the drain.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions