Stainless Kegs

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Stainless Kegs

Postby crikko » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:33 am

Hi all.

I found a guy who's selling kegs, offered me 4 for $100, which sounds too good to be true. Do i need to be worried about buying them? Not sure i want to come right out and ask if they're stolen...
crikko

equipment: Turbo 500 s/s

Re: Stainless Kegs

Postby Matt_Pl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:44 am

Then simply ask him where he got them from.
Unfortunately in my experience most of the kegs advertised on facebook or gumtree are obtained through illegal means. Prehaps just cut out the middle man and steal your own ????? :angry-banghead:

For the record I do not support the theft of kegs
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby crikko » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:54 am

Matt_Pl wrote:Then simply ask him where he got them from.
Unfortunately in my experience most of the kegs advertised on facebook or gumtree are obtained through illegal means. Prehaps just cut out the middle man and steal your own ????? :angry-banghead:

For the record I do not support the theft of kegs

No, i dont either.. I'm a bit of a worrier, just worried about any legal implications for receiving stolen property.

They're a want, not a need at this stage and its a 5 hour round trip to get them.
crikko

Postby Joycy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:17 am

Where is he based? Surely conducting illegal activity (distilling alcohol without a licence) would be much the same as buying stolen goods? You don't know they are stolen, don't ask and whip them up for a bargain. I'll take 1 if he is near Brisbane :-D
Joycy

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler

Postby crikko » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:28 am

Joycy wrote:Where is he based? Surely conducting illegal activity (distilling alcohol without a licence) would be much the same as buying stolen goods? You don't know they are stolen, don't ask and whip them up for a bargain. I'll take 1 if he is near Brisbane :-D

Haha... i know, but i can justify the distilling to myself by saying I'm only taking revenue off the government, i pay enough taxes already!

Stolen kegs hurt local business, when i worked in a pub years ago we paid deposits per keg and they were accounted for on collection. Not sure if this is still the business model now though
crikko

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:57 am

5 hour round trip makes them bloody expensive when you add fuel, time and wear and tear.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby scythe » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Just buy your own brand spanker from somewhere, i think they are about $400.
Or you can buy sencond hand ones from about $200 or less depending on condition.

There is a place that sells them but can't remember the name.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby tenorbrew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Sometimes you can get legit bargains.

I once bought a couple of kegs from an importer of European beers.
He had dozens of them. They are too costly to ship back to the brewery of origin from Australia, so they sell the empties for Xmas party funds.
tenorbrew

equipment: 50L electric keg, 2" pot still. Building a 3" CCVM.

Postby Lowie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

I got my kegs from "the bloke at the pub". Or was it the local chip shop? Can't remember... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:24 am

What ever you do with stainless keg do not put a photo on the internet that the previous owner can recognize as one of there kegs as they may come looking to get it back .
wynnum1

Postby crikko » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I decided it was a want not a need at this stage (is any of this gear a need?)

Got my voltage controller today, so now i gotta figure out how that works without breaking my urn...
crikko

Return to Beginners Questions