Hydrometer readings

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Hydrometer readings

Postby Mouse01 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:45 pm

I can't seem to get the hydrometer to fall down to the correct level in the sugar and yeast mix after it has seemingly finished the run. Hence I'm only getting around 3 litres from a 28 ltr wash. Don't know if it's the yeast or pitching it to warm or the water. Don't think I'm doing anything wrong as it has been exactly the same method in the past. So Im at a bit of a loss as to what to do. The last three brews have done the same thing. Maybe just winter!!! Although I've been using a heater pad and seems to bubble ok for three to four days fine. Any suggestions?
Mouse01

equipment: Reflux still

Re: Hydrometer readings

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 pm

You'll need to add more details such as wash type, if you're doing generations etc. Also, bubbling in the airlock can be misleading as a slight leak in your fermenter seal will still allow the airlock to be active initially and then it'll leak out the seal and the airlock won't be active. Have you tasted your washes before you run them? The should taste dry - no sweetness.

There's a good thread in the newbie section on stuck washes.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:53 pm

db1979 wrote:... Have you tasted your washes before you run them? The should taste dry - no sweetness.

There's a good thread in the newbie section on stuck washes.

I second that.

The old guys (in experience not necessarily chronologically) don’t use hydrometer! They taste, they squish the fermented wash between thumb & index finger to see if it’s done... hydrometers are synchronized to a temperature on a basic sugar-wAter mix, nothing else in there (yeast, unfermentable substances, etc) so it’s an indicator where they’re trying to be more accurate. But if it’s done, it’s done no matter what the hydrometer says!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby warramungas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:42 am

Using the right hydrometer?
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 am

Mouse01 wrote:I can't seem to get the hydrometer to fall down to the correct level in the sugar and yeast mix after it has seemingly finished the run. Hence I'm only getting around 3 litres from a 28 ltr wash. Don't know if it's the yeast or pitching it to warm or the water. Don't think I'm doing anything wrong as it has been exactly the same method in the past. So Im at a bit of a loss as to what to do. The last three brews have done the same thing. Maybe just winter!!! Although I've been using a heater pad and seems to bubble ok for three to four days fine. Any suggestions?

3l from 28l aint terible I only keep 2l per 25l for rum...
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:16 am

:text-+1: Bluc,
I just did a CFW/Rye 45L charge and keeping 4L
EziTasting wrote:The old guys (in experience not necessarily chronologically) don’t use hydrometer!

I never use a hydrometer, never have. I was taught by a very wise man :greetings-waveyellow:
Last edited by The Stig on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby orcy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:26 pm

A hydrometer is indispensable when you are trying to push stuff through as soon as it's done. 3 days of the same reading and your wash isn't going anywhere.

Lots of old school tricks to determine if a wash is done, but impossible to get help with troubleshooting without some numbers.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Return to Beginners Questions