Fluoride?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Fluoride?

Postby bluc » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Wondering if anyone can explain the effects of fluoride on a fermentation..Is it possible to get a spike that would nuke fermentation or other variables.. anyone here work for council water services and can shed some light?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Fluoride?

Postby coffe addict » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:46 pm

Opens popcorn for this one :laughing-rolling:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby bluc » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Where the army helmet (batten down the hatchs)smiley when you need it :D
Last edited by bluc on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:10 pm

Our town water has fluoride in it and I use town water for all my fermentations always have, even when I was making beer.
Never had one fail, stall or go slower than expected.
If you are worried about it I suppose you could pour off the water you want to use and let it sit overnight to let the fluoride gas off, much the same you do for the chlorine in town water if your that way inclined. You could also use rain water from a tank if you wanted to totally avoid it.
I have always run on the idea that if the water tastes ok then its ok to ferment with.
Last edited by Plumby on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby bluc » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Plumby not that I'm worried about fluride...but I have had half dozen washes that just won't ferment have ruled out yeast ph and nutrient. Which leaves water chemistry, but they won't budge. Hoping for some solid info :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby db1979 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:28 am

Plumby wrote:I suppose you could pour off the water you want to use and let it sit overnight to let the fluoride gas off, much the same you do for the chlorine in town water if your that way inclined.

Fluoride won't gas off because it's present as a salt, or ionic compound, which have very low vapour pressures and very high boiling points. Chlorine gases off because it undergoes a chemical reaction that constantly reacts back and forth between two chemicals. One of which has a high vapour pressure and low boiling point, this causes it to slowly evaporate from water.

Bluc, maybe you could look up your councils website and see if they post regular drinking water analysis results.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby ant b » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Fluoride has no effect on fermentation and is only around a concentration of 1mg/l the same as seawater.
It will not burn off like chlorine.

You could check the hardness/alkalinity of you water supply this may affect fermentation.

Looks like your water treatment plant is being upgraded and you may be getting water for other sources then usual ?
Last edited by ant b on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ant b

equipment: Reflux

Postby bluc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Already ruled out ph. No sign of infection.
I have read elsewhere that fluride does effect attenuation and it can build up in a grain bed when doing s bwko (uj)style drink.

What I don't get it won't ferment talking 6 weeks nutrient added ph checked adjusted stirred up temp checked etc etc nope won't ferment. Ditch it add more sugar and water on top of old grain Bec away it goes like a steam train :angry-banghead:

I have had bwko and rum do it. And always when do gens. With rum I thought it was the mollasses and have not done rum ferments since...I need to track this issue down it's doing my head in..
Last edited by bluc on Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby orcy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Your local water supplier can supply all water chemistry numbers, or you can send a small sample off to be tested. It won't be Flouride. Maybe chloramine? I'd start by ringing your supplier and asking if anything has changed.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Just try using rainwater instead chemical laden mains water and see the difference. As I'm totally off the grid rainwater is our potable supply and never need to worry tainted mains water.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby tipsy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:34 pm

db1979 wrote:
Plumby wrote:I suppose you could pour off the water you want to use and let it sit overnight to let the fluoride gas off, much the same you do for the chlorine in town water if your that way inclined.

Fluoride won't gas off because it's present as a salt, or ionic compound, which have very low vapour pressures and very high boiling points. Chlorine gases off because it undergoes a chemical reaction that constantly reacts back and forth between two chemicals. One of which has a high vapour pressure and low boiling point, this causes it to slowly evaporate from water.

Bluc, maybe you could look up your councils website and see if they post regular drinking water analysis results.

Nothin to add to the conversation except to say I do love your posts DB :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby db1979 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks tipsy :greetings-waveyellow:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Return to Beginners Questions