Essences from brew shops

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Essences from brew shops

Postby ugfitter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:14 am

Hi all, I have just finished my very first run of TPW and must say not to bad. Second one has just stopped fermenting, I plan to do a couple before going on to more complex recipes. I would like to know are the flavouring bottles sold at home brew stores worth it and do they give a decent flavour ie bourbon.
ugfitter

equipment: pot still

Re: Essences from brew shops

Postby Davefid » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:43 am

That's all I use for flavouring currently. Seems to be fairly good.
Davefid

equipment: T500 copper condenser

Postby ugfitter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am

Thanks Davefid , Do you recomend any particular brand (Bourbon preferably)
ugfitter

equipment: pot still

Postby Woods314 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 am

With a bit of research and some imagination, you can make your own essence, but that may be down the road a bit if you have just started. Making your own essence is much cheaper than the bought stuff!
Woods314

equipment: T500 and pot still attachment.

Postby PeterC » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:25 pm

I have used the Still Spirits classic range (the ones in pouches) and think they are the best I have tried. I also have used the chipped oak (Gobblers) with 65% abv neutral and blend this with the booze made with the essence and this makes it a bit more complex and interesting. It is OK for drinking till your good stuff ages sufficiently. No headaches for sure.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Commune » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 am

Any good whisky flavouring that can be recommended?
Commune

equipment: Pure distilling reflux still
Mangrove Jack 25L beer boiler

Postby southern45 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:22 pm

From what I've tried the Still Spirits range in the 50ml bottles are okay if you must. Don't use the suggested amount or you'll probably end up with it being too sweet or over-flavoured, start with half the recommended dose even though that seems like such small amount. Let it settle for a day or two also then taste it and see what you think.

Oaking on chips does add another level, but at the end of the day it's still oaked and flavoured vodka.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby brucest955 » Sun May 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi peoples
Relatively new but here is what I have discovered. They suit my tastes, but may not suit everyone but sharing is caring :D .
All of the flowing has been made with either TTV or TPW, not sure what I like better.

Still spirits Top Shelf Vodka - excellent, very clean and great with soda water and lime juice
Still spirits Top Shelf Honey Bourbon - disappointing, was trying for america honey taste, nothing like it. Will add some honey and see what happens.
Still spirits Icon Liqueurs Cafelua - nice and very drinkable it your like that sort taste

Other things I have tried

Bourbon according to this profile - http://www.gtp.com.au/westbrew/inewsfil ... y_Book.pdf (hope this link is allowed)
Nicest bourbon to date, have tried Still Spirits Classic American Bourbon but that was made on a turbo wash so is inconclusive.

Excellent Kahula recipe viewtopic.php?f=32&t=288

Hope this is of help to some people
brucest955

equipment: Turbo 500

Return to Beginners Questions