boiler charge

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

boiler charge

Postby vossy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 am

Hello Legends,
For those with 50L or bigger boilers, when you do a smaller ferment say 25L and drop it into the boiler do you top up with some water as a matter of safety to ensure the elements stay covered??
vossy

equipment: 2 x Essencia Super Reflux 25L
1 x 50L Keg Pot Still/Bubbler with Gin Caddy

Re: boiler charge

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Ifn I put a 25lt batch in my 18gal(70-80lt) boiler,I allways cover the elements with water by a few inch's then add the 25lt batch.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Re: boiler charge

Postby spiltdrink » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:01 am

:text-+1:
Safety first
When starting out I was still 'n and had no Internet connection at times. If I came to a situation where I thought "should I................?" Then I'd always (read - most of the time) choose what I thought was the safer option, until I could find out what others were doing/suggested.

At most times in this hobby if you think.....hey this feels a bit shonky, chances are it is and you should change what you are doing.
When I am rushing( when I've promised a mate some shine for his party and found out I have none) or trying to squeeze in a run before the in laws drop around (another classic) that's when I make mistakes,cut corners,get things wrong or think ' it'll be ok'.

Chances are you'll have a drink in your hand while at the still, every one says don't, but really you're not in this forum cause you really enjoy drinking tea.So just go the extra mile to keep it safe.

Definately a bit more than what you asked for, considering your question was already answered, just felt the question had the kind of flavor that lent itself to this kind of response
(I'll get off my soap box now)
Happy still'n
spiltdrink

equipment: 1 X Reciprocating saw
1 X Roll of duct tape
1 X Pocket pussy

Return to Beginners Questions