Bubbling over?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Bubbling over?

Postby NotSo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:05 pm

Hi all ... First post, I am fairly new to brewing spirits (or anything else) but a couple of times using a 30 litre keg it has bubbled up through the bubbler on top and sprayed all over the walls, what a mess.
Using the 10 litre one is ok although it gets frothy also in the first couple of days.

I am using the Air Still with the Companion pack and later bought the 30 litre drum and use the Air Still fermentation Kits.

Any thoughts are welcome. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NotSo

equipment: Air still

Re: Bubbling over?

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi Notso,

It would be a good idea to pop over to the welcome center and introduce yourself, your equipment, and what you want from the hobby first.

On this topic, I don’t know what ingredients you are using, but with this hot weather, it is t unusual to have a rigorous ferment. Particularly when your yeasties are reproducing, they create krausen which is like sticky foam. The only real way to avoid it coming out the top is to increase head space i.e. don’t fill your fermenter so much. You will have to cut back on the sugars as well possibly, depending on your i.g. and your target alcohol % of the wash.

FWIW I don’t use air locks or the lid for that matter. I spread cling wrap across the top and punch a couple of pin holes in it. I use big rubber bands to hold it on. It will bulge under the pressure of co2 and krausen.

Hope that helps.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Bubbling over?

Postby NotSo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Thank you for your quick response and I will follow up on that.
Have a great New Year.
NotSo

equipment: Air still

Return to Beginners Questions