Rum wash ABV - another stupid question

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Rum wash ABV - another stupid question

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm

Ok so sorry for another stupid question but I am actually trying to learn processes and requirements in order to create a nicer rum. (my rums always been horrid)

This is taken straight from the Recipes section:

"Bakers yeast

100-150 grams. More is okay, it will provide nutrients. Bakers yeast is pretty good for rum. (As I recall it is usually bred up on a molasses substrate, so it is already conditioned to it.) I don't make yeast starters for rum, too much mucking around, and bakers yeast is cheap, so I just throw a whole bunch on the surface of the ferment mix and let it go.

You can run higher than 10% with bakers yeast, maybe up to 12-14%, but only aiming for 9-10% keeps any stress on the yeast to a minimum".

I understand that % ABV is the change from the O.G to the F.G, my plan is to utilise my 220 litre olive drum and follow the old rum ratio of 20 litres of molasses to 20 kg of raw sugar, is there a caculator to ensure that I am not pushing past 10% ABV and stressing the yeast?

Many thanks!
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Rum wash ABV - another stupid question

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:56 pm

One of the issues I found with molasses and rum was the fact that actual fermentable sugar % must vary a fair bit from supplier to supplier and none I have purchased had any breakdown data to verify .Have also heard and do ferment at 30-35'c wich will also stress yeast but I think that's were taste may come in ,ifn ya like a lot of flavour then go that way or go low and slow for a more mild flavour.I always taste test now whenever possible to get an idear of quality wich does as always vary.Others clarify the molasses befor using it for rum wich will get a lot of solids and crap out but takes time and effort. cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

I use 25kg white sugar and 20l molasses in approx 190l total volume.. molasses is about 40% fermentable sugar(rule of thumb). I add water from a hose with a medium spray and at same time hit the surface with a paint stirrer in a drill. gets heaps o2 in tothe mix. I ferment hot 35-40(mostly ambiant temps during summer) and I under pitct yeast. These conditions creat esters. dark fruit seems to be the prominent one..The resulting rum I love. dont do gens but re use yeast cake. Just started using edv493 defintely different to bakers but equally good.(prominent ester seems to be honey). hope this helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Thanks so much lads!

White sugar over raw sugar? And under pitching the yeast?
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Never mind I googled it !
Matt_Pl

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 pm

One of the best batchs I have done came from using dark brown sugar instead of raw or white ,yeh costs a bit more but more than made up for it in taste for me anyway ,not being a big drinker but preferring a more rich flavoured rum with less oak and some to spice up for winter nights.cheers hillzabilly :D
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Beginners Questions