How many plates needed for a really good stripping still?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: How many plates needed for a really good stripping still

Postby tipsy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:17 am

Rolls912 wrote:
Magnus wrote:If it's just for neutral the cheapest build is a CCVM, 1.5 meters packed with volcanic rock (scoria). You can run a lot quicker than a Boka too. The Boka is a very outdated build.

Could you please explain what a ccvm is? Closed circuit? Could you point me towards a post that explains what it is. Cheers

Condenser controlled vapour management
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby crow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:11 pm

coffe addict wrote:Because packed sections have a higher theoretical plates per metre ratio. Simply put they are more efficient at producing neutral.

Debatable on both statements. Year sure 1.5 metres of packing is more than 600 mm but that doesn't take into account what the plates are delivering to the packed section. The vapour is being delivered to the packing already highly rectified and depending on the amount of plates V coolant V vapour speed it might be somewhere close to azeotropic so all the packing is required to do it strip what little flavour is left and raise the ABV by a % or to which say 500 or 600mm is a lot more than capable of. The biggest difference between a bitey and clean crisp smooth result from say a TPW is often the result of prestripping either with a pot or a column with the deflag shut off (which is in fact a pot still) . There is nothing wrong with a reflux still but to get a good result in a single run does mean a slow arsed run, pre-stripping will also speed up those runs but it still won't approach plated column speeds. Filtering is another way to clean the spirit up but again this it time and expense most would prefer to avoid.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby danwbrews » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:40 am

One, run it as a pot still. A stripping run is to reduce the amount of water and increase the eth. percent. Did you mean spirit run?
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Postby coffe addict » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 am

Crow, 5 plates and 600mm packed is quite capable of producing good neutral I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. I'd be keen to read where you got the idea that it'd be more efficient than the same overall length of packed column though?
In my experience with testing 5plates and 600mm packed with a packed column of the same length the packed column outperformed on speed and neutrality.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions