Neutral wash for gin?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Neutral wash for gin?

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Your not using the whole tin in one wash mashing the grain is very easy if you have accurate thermometer can do on a stove top plus only using as a nutrient and small amount no problem sparging plenty of available water.What is wheat malt extract have read that it may contain percentage barley and not be all wheat.
wynnum1

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Your 100% correct ,label states 50% wheat and 50% barley,as I said I will be mashing down the road ,but wanted a consistent base to start trials with a grain neutral and vodka ,with the convenience and quality of extract hard ta beat,I have had some wopper flops with grain mashing and know anyone just getting started with stilling will struggle to get their head around it too,so like to recommend stuff that will give everyone a good chance at success with consistency as well , not the cheapest option is the down side ,but until I have the equipment and skill,a good substitute in my opinion.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Lowie » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:41 pm

I use Teddys FFV. find that produces a nice clean wash. I have used the TPW but the tomatoe taste tends to come through ever so slightly. I also make a sugarhead out of the spent grains from my AG beer mash which I reckon is even better than the FFV (the resultant spirit changes with every different grain bill of course but that just adds extra complexity IMO). BTW, you're running a bubbler so no need to do any stripping runs if you use your packed section as well (I'm sure others will argue this point but I make bloody good gin!). Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 am

Lowie wrote:I use Teddys FFV. find that produces a nice clean wash. I have used the TPW but the tomatoe taste tends to come through ever so slightly. I also make a sugarhead out of the spent grains from my AG beer mash which I reckon is even better than the FFV (the resultant spirit changes with every different grain bill of course but that just adds extra complexity IMO). BTW, you're running a bubbler so no need to do any stripping runs if you use your packed section as well (I'm sure others will argue this point but I make bloody good gin!). Cheers.

What quantity spent grain did you use in the wash .
wynnum1

Postby Lowie » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Around 4kg - everything out of the mash tun. into 60L. plus 8kg sugar. 80gms of bakers yeast.
Last edited by Lowie on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions