Grass flavours and prickle feel on tongue in Scotch. Ageing?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Grass flavours and prickle feel on tongue in Scotch. Ageing?

Postby Dejay » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi all.
I searched but hard to find specific answers on this question.

I've done a run of Franks Fine Scotch Whisky
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1638

My questions are:
1.. in my run, there are a lot of Grass flavours from the grain I used. Do these fade with the ageing? They are quite strong.
2.. The prickle taste or feeling you get in the heads and early hearts. Do they fade as well?

I just basically need advice on how aggressive I should be on the cuts.
I some prickle OK or cut it all out?
Will the grass flavours fade or cut them out?

Thanks guys.
Dejay

equipment: Ultimate Stainless Steel Complete 25l System with reflux Still.

Re: Grass flavours and prickle feel on tongue in Scotch. Age

Postby bluc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Grass fades well it does with all grain. I wouldn't include any heads some say prickly on tounge is a good indicator of them..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby coffe addict » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Grass flavours fade, the method and length of aging dictates how strict you need to be with cuts.
Anything under a yr of aging be very strict.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Arismac » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Dejay wrote:2.. The prickle taste or feeling you get in the heads and early hearts. Do they fade as well?

This probably indicates that double stilling will help as the taste you describe may well be residue sulphur which needs to be become copper sulphate and be extracted from the spirit.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby PeterC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:45 am

The Frank's FSW method describes pot stilling with stripping runs and a spirit run. Dejay you mention you have a reflux still? So your product is going to be a bit different. Copper in the vapour path should deal with sulphur compounds first time so you should not need to re-distil for those. A reflux still is already going to reduce the flavours. Heat or prickles in taste would be heads as you already mention. Some of this is difficult to avoid in pot distillation and long ageing in barrels deals with this to a large degree but like Coffe says, if you want nice product sooner then best leave this out. You could try ageing different parts of your run separately and see how things develop over time. Whisky for mixing and sippin whisky are different propositions anyway I think.
Cheers.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Dejay » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks everyone. The grass question was hard to find answers on.

I used my copper pot still for this run. I'll go easy on the prickle tasting heads. There are some great flavors there so I'll have to be careful.
Plan to put it away for a year then pull out a bottle for tasting. Then will leave around another 6 months and pull another bottle.
Looking forwards to comparing as it ages. Will be my 1st decent product that I have aged.
Dejay

equipment: Ultimate Stainless Steel Complete 25l System with reflux Still.

Return to Beginners Questions