Difference in output between Neutralizer and Boka

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Difference in output between Neutralizer and Boka

Postby Rolls912 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Im still learning so go easy...for a high quality neutral.
Am I right in saying a Boka will produce very pure alcohol but at a much slower rate than a neutraliser? And a neutraliser will produce a very pure Alcohol, but not as pure as a Boka?
Last edited by Rolls912 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Re: Difference in output between Neutralizer and Boka

Postby bluc » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 pm

I have heard from reliable source boka is better. I have a 4"4plater with 600mm packed section and a 2"boka now. Soon I can give first hand opinion on exactly this..also in not to distant future I am gunna run my bubbler as a vm for neutral :happy-partydance:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:20 pm

It's relative to size and power and cost, a same height 4" boka could out run a 4" neutralizer with the right packing and more power, the packed section is more efficient height wise so can be run faster

A boka has less fittings than the average plater so should be cheaper
The plater can be easily changed to make flavored spirits
They both work better with a thumper/ large volume plate underneath
Many seem to end up with multiple units, plan to mix and match as much as possible to save $$
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:11 am

bluc wrote:..also in not to distant future I am gunna run my bubbler as a vm for neutral :happy-partydance:

How are you planning on doing that? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby woodduck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am

I think my boka did make better neutral but it was painfully slow and I mean painfully. There is no way I could go back to it now I have a bubbler. Personally I don't sip vodka straight so I don't need it 100% clean and pure. Most of my neutral goes into making girly drinks. A few of my friends drink it with lime and soda etc and none of them complain so I don't bother with the slow process of a boka. It's totally a personal preference thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:35 am

flip my rc blockhead section over so the rc is at top and put a gate valve on output pack the whole lot after removing plates...
Last edited by bluc on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:14 pm

bluc wrote:flip my rc blockhead section over so the rc is at top and put a gate valve on output pack the whole lot after removing plates...

Nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby coffe addict » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:28 pm

Doubt that will fit in your shed bluc, thinking of upgrading the shed?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby The Stig » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:46 pm

woodduck wrote:I think my boka did make better neutral but it was painfully slow and I mean painfully. There is no way I could go back to it now I have a bubbler. Personally I don't sip vodka straight so I don't need it 100% clean and pure. Most of my neutral goes into making girly drinks. A few of my friends drink it with lime and soda etc and none of them complain so I don't bother with the slow process of a boka. It's totally a personal preference thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What size Boka are we talking ?
The boka Rolls is trying to compare is our 4”
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:59 pm

coffe addict wrote:Doubt that will fit in your shed bluc, thinking of upgrading the shed?

It will fit all I gotta do is flip over the blockhead and buy a valve. Pack the whole thing :handgestures-thumbupleft: one can dream of a bigger shed. I am building cupboards in shed atm to enclose everything out of view :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:28 pm

The Stig wrote:
woodduck wrote:I think my boka did make better neutral but it was painfully slow and I mean painfully. There is no way I could go back to it now I have a bubbler. Personally I don't sip vodka straight so I don't need it 100% clean and pure. Most of my neutral goes into making girly drinks. A few of my friends drink it with lime and soda etc and none of them complain so I don't bother with the slow process of a boka. It's totally a personal preference thing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What size Boka are we talking ?
The boka Rolls is trying to compare is our 4”

Ahh sorry didn't realise rolls was taking 4". mine was only 2". I imagine 4" would be totally different and much quicker.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Rolls912 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 pm

4 inch neutraliser versus a 4 inch boka.... I guess I’m looking for an answer assuming they are both 4inch... Time is my Achille’s heal with this hobby. :text-bump:
Last edited by Rolls912 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby coffe addict » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:19 am

4in boka will outperform a 4in neutraliser in everyway for neutral. The neutraliser wins at everything else.

If all you'll ever want to drink is neutral a boka is hard to beat.
If you enjoy rum, whiskey, brandy then the neutraliser will be a better choice.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:32 am

coffe addict wrote:4in boka will outperform a 4in neutraliser in everyway for neutral. The neutraliser wins at everything else.

If all you'll ever want to drink is neutral a boka is hard to beat.
If you enjoy rum, whiskey, brandy then the neutraliser will be a better choice.

Perfectly said
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Jimmy. » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm

Why not design it so it can be 90% interchangeable?

Do 5 star sell a Boka or will it be home made?
Jimmy.

equipment: still spirit 25l reflux still with column extension

Postby bluc » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Yea just buy a 4" boka head and wack it on top bubbler after deflag pack rest of bubbler.. :dance: yes 2" and 4" bokas :handgestures-thumbupleft:

How much power is need for 4" boka :think: is 3600w enough?
Last edited by bluc on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 pm

We'll I guess why have a boka head at all? Why not just get another section of 4" pack it and swap it out for the plate sections so you have around 1-1.5mtrs of packed section with rc and pc after that? Is there something special about the boka head? I guess if you don't already have the rc and pc the boka head might be a easier cheaper option?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby RC Al » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 pm

The boka head will change it to LM and the running pros and cons ascociated with that

Woody, your missing the valve on you fittings list

With VM the size of the valve will determine the "automatic" reflux ratio, a 4" setup with a 2" valve cops a 2:1 ratio, a 4" with a 4" valve will have a 1:1 ratio, closer to what you need with a taller column, now go and price a 4" stainless valve with triclamps, one of the dearest fittings you will price in 4"
Last edited by RC Al on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 pm

My opinion,as the question is about comparing a fully packed colomn of copper mesh compared to a combination of plates and packing.After trialing both when I first put my 4inch together ,I found the combination of plates and packing was more reliable in top end neutral,my thoughts are that the lower section does most of the work in building ABV % and with plates having a very consistent performance are better able to keep the top section of packing supplied with high ABV vapour ,wich is what the packed section works best with.I run a LM head on mine wich to me does not change things to much maybe making runs a little easier,and changes in coolant temp from a recirc system have no effect on output speed to boot ,it is the colomn packed or not were all the magic happens ,condencer desighn can be confusing with different opinions as to wich is best ,wich can take the focus away from getting great ferments and using a good run strategy for the product being made with cuts plus smart feints management down to quality water for dilution.Packing may need to be adjusted to get the best performance took me 3times to dial in ,wich leads me to the experience needed to get the best from any set up with packing ,compared to plates ,so a less experienced person is more likely to get a better result with plates and the sight glasses that make working with the Neutralizer a lot easier,downcomers show real time reflux ,then the modular FSD can morph into many faces wich seals the deal for me ,cost may be mentioned and after several years of work she STILL shines like the first day I brought her home ,earning her place in my shed many times over.Anyhooo that's my 2c.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Why do you need a 4" valve? An rc is a water controlled valve when you think of it....

You wouldn't need a 4" valve for a 4" boka. I would take a guess at a 1/2 needle valve or there abouts?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Beginners Questions