Self destructing Turbo Yeast Classic?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Self destructing Turbo Yeast Classic?

Postby am529782 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:42 am

Hi all,

PMSL...now in my defence, the Turbo in question came with my new kit and was intended to be run through the T500 for a cleaning run only. The last time I ran a Turbo would have been in 1999 and I wasn't overly awed with the results in the early days (but "waste not, want not", and having a little extra homemade Ethanol Sanitiser on hand is always a bonus). :-D

This batch went off like a bloody rocket (thankfully I was running a blow off and not an airlock!) and hit 36 degrees C in an ambient air temp of 20 degrees C (at 3am, tripping the thermometer alarm, which I thought I’d set high enough that it wouldn’t be able to be set off….needless to say it woke the Minister for War and Finance). :angry-banghead:

The batch is still fermenting like crazy at 10.30am, but given this level of (probable) thermal over-run, I’m sort of thinking that it will have created a whole lot of undesirable fusils ~x( . I’m not sure if this will leave a taste in the T500 column (a little counter productive for a cleaning run), and if so, whether I’m just better off just dumping the batch and running a Wineo’s instead.

Given that I haven’t run a Turbo for such a long time (and can’t remember them getting over 30 Degrees when I was) is the temperature I recorded with this current batch unusual to the point where it’ll be dodgy to use even as a cleaning run on a new Still?

Any opinions would be helpful. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
am529782

equipment: T500 (Newbie in training after a 20 year absence).

Re: Self destructing Turbo Yeast Classic?

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:38 am

I reckon it’d be fine for a cleaning run, maybe just rinse out your packing afterwards
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby am529782 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:49 am

Doubleuj wrote:I reckon it’d be fine for a cleaning run, maybe just rinse out your packing afterwards

Cheers Doubleuj, I'll give it a go :-D
am529782

equipment: T500 (Newbie in training after a 20 year absence).

Postby fizzix » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 am

am529782 wrote:….needless to say it woke the Minister for War and Finance). :angry-banghead:

:text-lol:
fizzix

equipment: 8-gallon stainless 2" reflux column with copper mesh packing.

Return to Beginners Questions