Weetbix and Allbran wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Weetbix and Allbran wash

Postby Handyandy180 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 am

Rolls912 wrote:
Handyandy180 wrote:Hi All
Update on my Weetabix/ Allbran wash is as follows. Well, actually nothing to report as I think it has stopped doing its magic. I started the wash lunch time on the 10th, 16 days later and my hydrometer still hasn't reached the light blue spirit section, its been sitting just below on the red wine section but at the uppermost part of the red marker (hope that makes some sort of sense?). Bubbling seems to have stopped although there is the odd bubble now and again.
Is there anything I can do to awaken the wash or have I stuffed it by using the incorrect recipe amounts?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Cheers

Do you live in a cold or warm climate? What temp is the wash at?

Hi the wash has been sat at 20 degrees inside our spare room. However having done some more research I think the temperature was a tad too high when I introduce the yeast It was up at 30 degrees.
Cheers
Handyandy180

equipment: Air still mini

Postby The Stig » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:56 pm

I don’t think that’s your issue, your at 20 deg C that’s low and your using EC1118.
I would leave it a couple more weeks. Stop stressing, this hobby is all about patients
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Rolls912 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:55 pm

The Stig wrote:I don’t think that’s your issue, your at 20 deg C that’s low and your using EC1118.
I would leave it a couple more weeks. Stop stressing, this hobby is all about patients

Yes inebriated patients! :laughing-rolling:
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Handyandy180 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 pm

Rolls912 wrote:
Handyandy180 wrote:Hi All
Update on my Weetabix/ Allbran wash is as follows. Well, actually nothing to report as I think it has stopped doing its magic. I started the wash lunch time on the 10th, 16 days later and my hydrometer still hasn't reached the light blue spirit section, its been sitting just below on the red wine section but at the uppermost part of the red marker (hope that makes some sort of sense?). Bubbling seems to have stopped although there is the odd bubble now and again.
Is there anything I can do to awaken the wash or have I stuffed it by using the incorrect recipe amounts?
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Cheers

Do you live in a cold or warm climate? What temp is the wash at?

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. We are on the Mornington peninsular Victoria and the wash temp is at 20 degrees. I have since, first posting done a run with moderate success being 50% ABV before diluting and have now got my second WB/AB wash on the go, only this time with the correct quantities of Weetbix and Allbran.
Cheers
Last edited by Handyandy180 on Thu May 02, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Handyandy180

Postby Handyandy180 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi all
Just a couple of questions if I may about my WB/AB wash
Approx 10 days ago I did a fresh WB/AB wash, this time with the correct amount of ingredients. I am now at the distilling stage getting approx 50% ABV @ 700 ml, Is this about right or should the ABV be up around 60% as it would be with a turbo wash?
I'm only asking to try and ascertain if I may have done something wrong.

Secondly with a second generation wash do i just omit the yeast and leave the WB/AB bed where it is? If I am correct i only need to add the other ingredients to the wash and it will start to ferment again. Is this correct?
Many thanks
Handyandy180

Postby woodduck » Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am

You might need to explain the first question a bit better, is that 50% after distilling?

On generations, leave yeast bed where it is, put a few ltrs of water on top of it just to keep the yeast happy while you distill then put your sugar and a bit of fresh wheetbix etc in a bucket and dissolve it with the hot backset out of the boiler once the run is finished. Top up the fermenter with cold water to the amount you think you'll need minus the amount in the bucket that the backset and sugar is in. Tip the backset in and she should be good to go.(You put hot stuff in last so you don't kill the yeast) Getting the temp right can be a bit tricky but doing it that way seems to work for me.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Handyandy180 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:49 pm

woodduck wrote:You might need to explain the first question a bit better, is that 50% after distilling?

On generations, leave yeast bed where it is, put a few ltrs of water on top of it just to keep the yeast happy while you distill then put your sugar and a bit of fresh wheetbix etc in a bucket and dissolve it with the hot backset out of the boiler once the run is finished. Top up the fermenter with cold water to the amount you think you'll need minus the amount in the bucket that the backset and sugar is in. Tip the backset in and she should be good to go.(You put hot stuff in last so you don't kill the yeast) Getting the temp right can be a bit tricky but doing it that way seems to work for me.

Hi Woodduck
Yes it is 50% after distilling I am using an air still at present and learning as I go.
My back set was cold and sat in the bottom of the 30l fermenter, I then put 5kg of sugar dissolved in a few jugs of hot water on the cook top added citrus and epsom salts and filled up to the 22litres mark with cold water gaining a temperature of 30 degrees. The start SG was 1084.
I wasn't sure if more yeast would be required at start? Having read your reply and realising i had put hot sugar water onto the bed of backset, I am now wondering if I may have killed the yeast off or at least wounded it!!
Maybe i would have been better starting afresh? Any thoughts of how this wash will progress?
Many thanks for your reply
Handyandy180

Postby The Stig » Mon May 06, 2019 1:30 pm

If you put hot water onto the yeast bed, you've just killed all your little friends.
Add more yeast and wait. Re hydrate the yeast first in a little warm water with a teaspoon of sugar in it to get it going a little quicker
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Handyandy180 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:47 pm

The Stig wrote:If you put hot water onto the yeast bed, you've just killed all your little friends.
Add more yeast and wait. Re hydrate the yeast first in a little warm water with a teaspoon of sugar in it to get it going a little quicker

Lesson learnt Stig many thanks for your input. How much yeast would you use? I have 5kg sugar and round about 22-23 litres in the fermenter
Many thanks
Handyandy180

Postby The Stig » Mon May 06, 2019 4:36 pm

60grams would do it for me
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions