Storage of whisky, SS keg OK ?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Storage of whisky, SS keg OK ?

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 pm

May have to organise an NQ get together at my place sometime before June I think,seems there are quite a few water purification devices and members around the Townsville area :think:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Yep we love our water pure here in the Ville
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 pm

:text-offtopic: :violence-stickwhack:
okay back to my bourbon..thanks for the comments guys.
@CE yes but bicardi ages their white rum in big ss tanks so some ageing must go on even in a sealed ss tank? that was my thinking anyway

@brendan I am concern about that lack of interaction thru the timbers, the reason for including the essence is have found just the smallest splash of that particular essence smooths out a oaked bourbon nicely if is a bit bitey.(most other :puke-huge: essences are putred)
smaller oak barrels just arent affordable here - insanly expensive.

@Jdee yes thats my thinking too and you woud be suprised how many award winning wines spend time in a ss vat with oak strips then finishing in a oak barrel. I do have some 25l kegs for low wines but they have no spears and wont seal with a triclamp so the 50l is the smallest i have and i want a lot of consistant product. not the hit and miss i have going on with the 5l demijohns because when i get a good batch its gone too fast.

@ Cupcake Do you think I have enuff wood in my recipe? should I add some real maple syrup too?
I thought of using a wine barrel i live in a wine growing region and can pick up a 220l oak barrel for nix but am worried about leaks. and turning it and its just a too bigger risk of my time if i lost that much booze.

@lowndsey :violence-smack:

thanks again will think a bit more
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

You're doing UJ right? All I put with my white spirits is toasted/charred oak sticks,about 18-20 sticks 300mm long and works perfect in about 5 months.Although I do sample it occasionally :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I'm a bit of a JB Small Batch fan,so half the time I'll add 75ml of RR port to an empty bottle,3 parts fill with 65% aged booze and top up with water :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
But back to your question,I think you're gunna need a bit more oak :handgestures-thumbupleft: Nothing wrong with adding a bit more later on down the track if you think it's not quite right,bit hard to take it out if its over oaked :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby home_brewer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:07 pm

cdbrown wrote:Does anyone store/age in 19L corny kegs? They of course have rubber seals in various spots - would they be ok with spirits? I have a few spare kegs I could utilise rather than buying demijohns

I tried this with some lowwines in a 9lt keg but i found after about 3 days the main seal started to go sticky
If you can plug of the posts an get a silicone seal for the lid i wouldnt
home_brewer

equipment: 2in pot
in progress
2"vm
4" bubbler
bigger boiler maby 80l

Postby bear74 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 pm

i have a few kegs i was thinkin of ageing rum in also, will age smaller batches first before dedicate 50l. i believe i have a solution for oak ageing which i shall share soon!
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Postby skelty » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

After many years of researching and drinking i can only conclude sir the best place to store it is a ecologically stable environment....ie YOUR STOMACH...
skelty

equipment: IN PROCESS OF MAKING ME FIRST STILL...A POT STILL.....MMMMM BOURBON

Storage of whisky, SS keg OK ?

Postby Lupus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:18 am

That ain't storage or ageing skelty. It's recycling :P
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:58 am

Well I cracked my keg today for its monthly sniff, shake and vent.
Just last month I was freaking I had overdone the Sherry.
But today its perfect its done yes I know I said this was a gonna be aged a few years but why wait when its perfect now.
IMAG1124.jpg

A few notes.
I oaked it in 10 l batches in glass demis before adding to the keg.
No oak chunks were in keg
About 10l of air space was left in keg
Keg was sealed with easy ptfe tape gasket and triclamp.
Booze went in at 65% came out at 62ish
Half full bottle is it watered to 40% full bottle in picture shows it at barrel strength.
It's soo smooth even at barrel strength but perfect at 40%.
Finally filling a 50l keg with primo hearts was a lot of work and your pets end up alcohol dependant
IMAG1060.jpg
kiwikeg

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:14 pm

kiwikeg wrote:Well I cracked my keg today for its monthly sniff, shake and vent.
Just last month I was freaking I had overdone the Sherry.
But today its perfect its done yes I know I said this was a gonna be aged a few years but why wait when its perfect now.
IMAG1124.jpg

A few notes.
I oaked it in 10 l batches in glass demis before adding to the keg.
No oak chunks were in keg
About 10l of air space was left in keg
Keg was sealed with easy ptfe tape gasket and triclamp.
Booze went in at 65% came out at 62ish
Half full bottle is it watered to 40% full bottle in picture shows it at barrel strength.
It's soo smooth even at barrel strength but perfect at 40%.
Finally filling a 50l keg with primo hearts was a lot of work and your pets end up alcohol dependant
IMAG1060.jpg

My mouth is watering just looking at it well done :clap: :clap:

Ps I am not talking about the duck either :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks, I do agree now with the comments that its flavoring not aging.
Now I have enough personal drinking stock for the next few years. I now am facing the monumental task of diluting filtering and bottling this gear. Not to mention finding space to store it.
On reflection I am glad I did try this but smaller fermenters and runs make for more fun I enjoyed doing this but towards the end it was just hard work.
If I was to do it again I would go allgrain and payup for a wood barrel as my time ended being the most expensive part of this hobby.
kiwikeg

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions