Distilling with Boil-A-Beer Beer Me Spirit Maker

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Distilling with Boil-A-Beer Beer Me Spirit Maker

Postby grasmere » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 pm

This is my first post so please forgive the ignorance.
I have read Beginners Guide-From one NOOB to another. I have been using the above Distiller using 21 Ltrs of 30degrees water 8 kgs Woolworths sugar
and Still Spirit 8 yeast. On completion of fermentation collecting in one run about 3-4 Ltrs of spirit from the Distiller.
Do I read correctly that I could do this twice. If so would I need to remove steel wire from the reflux column.
Advice would be greatly appreciated
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Re: Distilling with Boil-A-Beer Beer Me Spirit Maker

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi and welcome.

Yes you can do it twice, however if you used the packing one the first run it makes no sense to remove it for the second run as the packing makes the spirit cleaner.

Doing without packing (pot still mode) is referred to as ‘stripping’ and is done to remove the alcohol :-B of a large volume quickly before you do a slower and much more deliberate ‘spirit’ run.

But first things first, your first run of any still should be considered a “cleaning run” to clean out your still of industrial dirt and grease - I wouldn’t consume this!

Please tell us more...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby grasmere » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Thank you for the reply EZITASTING. and for the recommend reading. I will certainly read those
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Postby EziTasting » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Keep bringing the questions, no one will make fun of you here! This is a great place to learn!

I spent the first year in the Newbie section almost exclusively... lol, I’m still mainly there... as I grow and learn different things start to make sense. I love it!
EziTasting

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Hey mate, I moved this post to the beginers questions area, the news and announcements section is really just for admin or us mods to announce something about the forum.
Welcome btw :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby grasmere » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:03 pm

As a lover of nectar of the Gods Glenfidick, how close will I get. As I mentioned above I am using this 25 Ltr Distiller with Still Spirits essences with reasonable results.
I had a retailer make up 3 bags of from memory Barley and Malt in a cloth bag and sent on my way. Took out the reflux packing in the Distiller of what looked like metal scouring pads,
After Distilling I finished with 3 or 4 Glasses of Spirit which I promptly discarded. A little bit of knowledge obviously being disadvantageous.
Will I be making a better quality whiskey if I follow Aussie Distillers Chat forum
grasmere

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi mate, if you follow the tried and proven recipes, you will definitely end up with a better product.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby scythe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 am

You might get close to glenfiddich taste-wise, but better if you apply the principles of this forum.

Chuck out the instructions you got with your still, running it like they suggest will have you making grade A headache liquid.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby grasmere » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:00 am

As I mentioned before, I made a complete mess of using my Boil-A-Beer Beer-Me Spirit Maker by following You Tube guides removing the metal scouring type material from the reflux column and making various cuts at different temperatures in different glasses.
Can I make whiskey by using the still as it is intended, with corn etc.mash as per the guideline: From one NOOB to another and is there a guide for what type of Mash to use for making whiskey
grasmere

Postby EziTasting » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:18 pm

grasmere wrote:As I mentioned before, I made a complete mess of using my Boil-A-Beer Beer-Me Spirit Maker by following You Tube guides removing the metal scouring type material from the reflux column and making various cuts at different temperatures in different glasses.

Haha I did the same, then I found this site and have never gone back!

[quote=“grasmere”]Can I make whiskey by using the still as it is intended, with corn etc.mash as per the guideline: From one NOOB to another and is there a guide for what type of Mash to use for making whiskey[/quote]
The answer is a definite YES. There is some learning involved, tho. And as has been pointed out before, there’s a section on this forum called “Tried and Proven” (http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewforum.php?f=32) have a look thru there to see which one you’d like to have a go at. Each recipe has its own discussion thread which will further help you understand what others have struggled with and how to overcome those issues...
Last edited by EziTasting on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

Postby grasmere » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Thank you EZI, much appreciated. I will ckeck them out
grasmere

Return to Beginners Questions