Distilling with Boil-A-Beer Beer Me Spirit Maker

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Distilling with Boil-A-Beer Beer Me Spirit Maker

Postby grasmere » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:02 am

I have just finished the Stripping stage of my 3Kg Pale Malt Barrett BU and 3Kg Peat Smoked Malt GLA., with disappointing result of 1.5 Ltrs of Spirit diluted down to 2.25Ltr @ 30%Alc
Using 25Ltr Boiler as above with internal metal reflux material removed. This worked quite well.
I believe that my mashing in a bag was a problem, because my instruction of 15Ltrs of water @72degrees adding grain to maintain temp of 65 degrees for 60 minutes didn't
allow me space in the distiller to properly mix. I notice other you tube mashing is done with plenty of space for stirring. I didn't have this, also I made a mess getting the bag out because of the limited space.
I only had a 1010sg at the start of my Stripping. I would be grateful for any advice on what type of vessel I should use for mashing in the future
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Re: Distilling with Boil-A-Beer Beer Me Spirit Maker

Postby bluc » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:22 am

Bigger stainless pot or even possible to use a blue plastic drum 30/60/120/180/250l sizes readily available. or look at the grainfather or many different clones of it like brewzilla. I have a stainless insulated pot from ebay. Great for steeping unmalted grains during cereal mash :handgestures-thumbupleft: Same can be achieved with any stainle pot and some pour foam https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Tu ... n-for-BIA/. All grain can be a pita but the taste is miles ahead of other mashs...
Edit by the way the amount of grain you used is a bit light on. Aim for 3:1 mash thickness(3litres water per 1kg grain) and 4:1 final volume(4 litres water to 1 kg grain). Most I can mash is 10kg in a 60l vessel. Hope that helps.
Last edited by bluc on Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby grasmere » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply bluc
I have been looking at Kegland's Robobrew Brewzilla Gen 3.1 35Ltr and the you tube step by step guide for mashing etc. and think that this is just the boiler for me.
What are the thoughts of the members?
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Postby grasmere » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:26 pm

I notice that Kegland do a 35Ltr Basic Electric BIAB Boiler at $157. This would suit me much cheaper than Brewzilla and less complicated
grasmere

Postby grasmere » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:35 pm

I am disappointed that bluc was the only one who took the trouble to answer my problem of mashing and what equipment to use on this forum.Is it a case of "Pull up the ladder Jack , I'm inboard. I will be visiting my supplier tomorrow, maybe he can help me
grasmere

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 pm

I would jump straight to brewzilla personally. Otherwise you will regret it and buy twice...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Hey gras, I just think it’s a case that no one else has used that equipment you have and don’t want to rain on your parade.
There’s a hundred threads here about mash tuns and the way various people set them up, but I’d suggest try your way a few times before getting the shits with it. This is a hobby that requires a lot of patience, and a few fuck ups along the way too.
I’ve certainly had my share
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Like fried elements and toastie grain x_x :whistle:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby grasmere » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:00 pm

I have started my first brew with 35 Ltr Brewzilla gEN 3.1 ,got up to temperature and put 6kg of a Grain mixture, started stirring with the pump on. and then the pump stopped. I have feeling that I had a back syphon through to the pumpI would be most obliged if anyone can suggest a solution other than taking all it out
grasmere

Postby grasmere » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:04 pm

The pump didn't stop. I should have said the flow stopped
grasmere

Postby bluc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Slow the flow through pump will stop the grain bed compacting and blocking flow.i also mash in(add grain) and stir with pump off and ball valve closed then I start pump and slowly open ball valve..what you experieced is a stuck mash. Larger grain grind will help also but effeciency will decrease...what sort of false bottom you got? :handgestures-thumbupleft:blow back through pump or give grain be a good stir should get it flowing again..
Last edited by bluc on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby grasmere » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks for the reply bluc
I contacted Kegland who suggested back flow with garden hose. This didn't work and so I emptied the liquid into my Spirit Maker.
I have downloaded a step by step how to remove the pump from Kegland and clean which I will do tomorrow.
Starting all over again will be a surprise if the outcome is positive. However I will let you know how it turns out.
Thanks once again for your reply.
I apologize to all for my previous post and as somebody said "Cracking the shits"
grasmere

Return to Beginners Questions