I want to run a micro still business.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

I want to run a micro still business.

Postby SURFFOILS » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:07 pm

I’ve brewed enough beer at home to keep all of Queensland hammered through the State of Origin series but I’m looking to change careers, make a dollar out what I know and what I’ve yet to learn. I can’t stop thinking about what might be if I apply myself to distilling in a commercial manner. Not looking to do 1000,000 litres in my first year but build up.
I’ve looked into Gypsy distilling and figure I may as well start my own business making Gins and Vodkas with a unique Australian flavour. There’s so many opportunities to explore and I’m trying hard to not use the word ‘craft’.
Does anyone have advice?
Has anyone done it already ?
Anyone interested in doing it now ?
Last edited by SURFFOILS on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SURFFOILS

equipment: Just sugar washes

Re: I want to run a micro still business.

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Have you distilled anything or have you only made beer?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rolls912 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:13 am

Saturated market.
Perhaps pitch it to the Asian market. Maybe make lychee gin with gold flakes etc.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:18 pm

I would do a lot of research,and get some hands on experience for at least 12-24 months with some decent gear,most new businesses fail because they are under financed without a solid plan,you are entering a very competitive market with some very well bank rolled people employing very experienced people in all areas.Who will market themselves too succeed.Some find a niche market and do well instead of trying ta outcompete a lot of others.One of the distilleries I visited in Tassie (Sullivans Cove) had gone out of business twice befor the current people won the worlds best whiskey award,and they got a beer mob to produce all of their wash to reduce production costs and problems .The Doc is one of the rare few I have seen to have a very successful go at starting a micro still business. cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby southern45 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:06 pm

hillzabilly wrote:One of the distilleries I visited in Tassie (Sullivans Cove) had gone out of business twice befor the current people won the worlds best whiskey award,and they got a beer mob to produce all of their wash to reduce production costs and problems.

And they are not a small operation either (although not massive).

There are many small micro-distilleries around, but I think the key is to have a niche. Your product needs to stand out from the crowd and give people a reason to try and buy above other producers out there. Whether that's a local ingredient, a speciality blend , a back story or whatever. A large chunk is also clever marketing and brand positioning.

Not to mention the government/taxation hoops you'll have to jump through...
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby Arismac » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm

southern45 wrote:Not to mention the government/taxation hoops you'll have to jump through...

Plus the fact that the tax on spirits rises every year. Not beer and wine, just spirits. That is the law and it is not about to be changed in the near future. So if you take that into account you will discover that Dan's/BWS margins are far tighter than you may realise. Their profit is in volume sales not boutique quality. As the same tax rules do not apply to beer or wine your chance of success is much better with beer than with stilled spirits. So ferment away and very best wishes but avoid commercial stilling if you want to get rich.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby Triangle » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 pm

A Business Plan.
Triangle

equipment: To be anounced!

Postby SURFFOILS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 pm

@ Sam I’ve brewed beer for 20 years but I’ve never enjoyed it. It always been a hobby but my interest lies in spirits.
@ Rolls912 I’ve got a partner who has experience in marketing , we’ve both run our own businesses so we know it takes a lot of work. It seems to be. Saturated market but there’s always another player coming on board and someone leaving too.
@ Hillzabilly we’ve seen good products from failed businesses and it would seem that the marketing and business is almost more important than the product. We’ve got a heap of new ideas for spirits from ingredients to branding and enough business sense to get the ATO requirements organised. There time to do all the paperwork as it’s required. At the same time we need to learn distillation from the ground up. Unless there are people here in Sydney looking to join a venture ?
@Arismac I’ve read that the retail profits from a 700ml bottle of 40% is just a few dollars so volume is the way to go. The one thing we have in our favour is a new way to distill spirits that has some time and energy benefits.. Its something to check over with an experienced distiller.
@ Triangle We’ve done the basic business plan but there’s so many variables that it’s impossible to predict how things will go. Even commercial leases aren’t consistent and getting council approval may not be possible in our local area. There’s a lot to be covered even for a 10 000 l p.a. business.
SURFFOILS

Postby woodduck » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:19 pm

What sort of still do you run at the moment? What drink do you enjoy stilling the most?

I don't love the sound of time and energy saving.... hope your not trying to do short cuts mate, this hobby doesn't tend to favor the time poor..

All the best mate hope it goes well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by woodduck on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a bit mpre in
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 am

Have a read of viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1842 for some good info .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:09 am

And http://australiandistillers.org.au/star ... istillery/ ,there may be a few consultants that could help as well.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:18 am

Have you looked at going into the bio fuel manufacture of alcohol would seem to be more open to start up .
wynnum1

Postby SURFFOILS » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. I’ll follow those links and chase up some more information.
SURFFOILS

Postby cheesepizza » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:05 am

I run my own down in Victoria. If you want to chat send me a PM
cheesepizza

equipment: 4 Inch bubbler. Self made

Postby SURFFOILS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:13 pm

cheesepizza wrote:I run my own down in Victoria. If you want to chat send me a PM

Contact link wouldn’t work. It I’m keen to talk and learn.
My email is "bad idea to put your email on an open forum"
Last edited by woodduck on Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed email address
SURFFOILS

Postby woodduck » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:39 pm

I removed your email address mate. Not a good idea to have it on an open forum.

Your pm's will work once you have 10 posts up. So chat away only 4 to go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby SURFFOILS » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:40 pm

How else am I going to find a Russian bride ? Ha ha.
No offence to the Russian stilling community of course !!
Last edited by SURFFOILS on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SURFFOILS

Return to Beginners Questions