Am I doing the right thing

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Am I doing the right thing

Postby grasmere » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:54 pm

My wife has turned back to Wine because of the shit neutral spirit that I have been making for Gin and Vodka since turning from Still Spirits to TWP and Weetbix and I must agree.
I have no evidence of Emperors New Clothes on this forum, but I must be a bit simple because I have done a lot of research into Spirit Making and still can not make a decent neautral spirit.
The problem can only be with cuts that I can't get my hearts and how much heads an tails to include in it
I have two Ferments of TWA and Weetbix going on at present and intend to only include hearts to see if I can make a decent neutral spirit
grasmere

equipment: BeerMe Spirit Maker with Reflux Column, 35 Ltr Brewzilla with Pot and Reflux and 35 Ltr Fermzilla Fermenter

Re: Am I doing the right thing

Postby tipsy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:16 pm

grasmere wrote:The problem can only be with cuts that I can't get my hearts and how much heads an tails to include in it

None

grasmere wrote:I have two Ferments of TWA and Weetbix going on at present and intend to only include hearts to see if I can make a decent neutral spirit

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by tipsy on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Distill some wine and give your wife the heads to try, she probably won’t drink wine ever again.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby VirtualT » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:58 pm

tipsy wrote:
grasmere wrote:The problem can only be with cuts that I can't get my hearts and how much heads an tails to include in it

None

grasmere wrote:I have two Ferments of TWA and Weetbix going on at present and intend to only include hearts to see if I can make a decent neutral spirit

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Whats TWA?
VirtualT

equipment: 2" boka and 2" pot head

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:15 pm

VirtualT wrote:Whats TWA?

I think he means TPW.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Strip and slow spirit run with harsh cuts and you should be happy with what you make. Jars that just miss out on being in hearts can be rerun with later washes so you're really not wasting anything.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby db1979 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Also try carbon filtering of your hearts. If you don't have a filter just let it soak on the carbon for a while (day or two).
db1979

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:23 am

Yep only drink hearts mate. One jar of heads or tails in neutral will ruin the lot. Be harsh on your cuts if you want nice booze. Like db said above, anything you cut out this run can be put back through with the next run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Bents » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Guys I use a Z Filter but have found it cuts my ABV dramatically. Recently did a batch and diluted to 42% then through the Z filter a couple times, it came out at 20% any help appreciated???
Bents

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby Chocko6969 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Bents wrote:Guys I use a Z Filter but have found it cuts my ABV dramatically. Recently did a batch and diluted to 42% then through the Z filter a couple times, it came out at 20% any help appreciated???

Back in the bad old days when I used turbos, I'd dilute to about 45% and it would always only drop to about 40-41%. I assume you're rinsing the carbon well but even if you left the Z full of water it would still not drop it by half? What volume are you putting through your filter run?

All I can say is please persist and you'll probably be able to figure out yourself what's going on, as I can tell you myself swapping to TPW and now FFV, I no longer use a filter and gave away my stocks of turbos to a mate.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby PeterC » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I don't know what your reflux still column is like but many of the type that sit on top of a brew boiler are quite short and can be quirky to run. I had something like this when I started and the results varied. I think it was too short to give good separation and had to be run real slow. I was always tempted to run it too fast and smear the heads and not get good hearts. Not saying this is your problem but just sharing my experience. I always double distilled by stripping and then doing a slow spirit run. My yield for clean hearts was about 50% of the alcohol present. Fores I ditched, heads and tails I put in the next run to improve yield and efficiency.
Cheers.
Last edited by PeterC on Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby RC Al » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 pm

:text-+1: on everything peterc says
How fast were you taking off at?
A column extension would help dramatically I believe
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby db1979 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 pm

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
Slow for neutral. Especially for short columns.
Last edited by db1979 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
db1979

Postby warramungas » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:01 am

Bents wrote:Guys I use a Z Filter but have found it cuts my ABV dramatically. Recently did a batch and diluted to 42% then through the Z filter a couple times, it came out at 20% any help appreciated???

The z filter if its anything like my old piece of rubbish, is plastic mate. I'd stay away from it.
All the other advice is right on the money though.
Your column is only really short and i would be reluctant to run more than 2000 watts through it. Probably need less or you'll make snot for the entire run. Figure out the max power your condensor can knock down without flooding the column and back the power off a touch and run there if you have power control.
You can of course continue to make snot and clean it up with carbon (I still do sometimes for expediency) but to do it properly you'll need a good carbon filter which is NOT the z filter in any universe. You can do it in bottles (not plastic) but you'll need around 30-40 grams per liter of 45ish% spirit (absolutely no head cuts should be included in the spirit!) and it will take days to weeks with good occasional agitation. The more you agitate the quicker it is.
The filter does tend to drop abv depending on how much alcohol you put in it after youve rinsed the carbon out with water as it dilutes it when its displaced by the acohol and again when the equal amount of alcohol is left in the carbon at the end. Try filtering slowly until you can taste alcohol coming through then start to collect the product from there if you can to avoid this.
I insert my carbon dry into my stainless filter then put my spirit in without rinsing the carbon first. DONT do this in the z filter as it gets really hot! I then rerun the first liter or two that comes out through the newly rinsed out (with spirit) carbon.
Ive been in your shoes when i first started out and drank heaps of headaches and had alcohol tasting like nail polish or cardboard. Dont get discouraged as you just need to learn to work within the limits of your equipment.
Your equipment can produce good neutral but you just have to be a little bit clever about how you go about it.
And i recommend you have a good read up on the site before you buy any more equipment so you have an idea of what you need.
Good luck mate.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Yonder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Of course there is only one correct, true solution to your problem. Good ole American bourbon style whisky. Puts a smile on yer face an hair on yer teeth! Not that I might be a wee bit prejudiced.... :D
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby Maxxx » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Hey grasmere
How long is your column.
What is it’s diameter
What is it packed with
How much heat (kw) are you throwing at it during a spirit run
Lots of things can effect neutral spirit ( cuts especially)
My neutral never really improved noticeably until I got real severe with cuts, got a long column, ditched the TPW and bakers for POSW and a couple handfuls grain, EC1118 and patience to wait for a complete ferment.
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:45 pm

What’s POSW.
Ever heard of that.
EC1118 is a champagne yeast normally used for wine or fruit and is SLOOOOOW to ferment
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby scythe » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Plain
Old
Sugar
Wash

Maybe even Wino's plain old sugar wash (WPOSW)?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:01 pm

That makes sense :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:50 pm

My 2c practice cuts. Start by removing anything with "flavour" other than ethanol. Also even though its neutral ageing and airing definately helps. If turbo was good and tpw wasnt. I dont know what else it could be. I have never tasted anything as neutral as tpw... :-B
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Next

Return to Beginners Questions