Gin Method & Still Type?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Gin Method & Still Type?

Postby rvn » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi All,

I like to try my hand at creating a Gin using the recipe from here http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3447

I have a FSD 2" Boka & 2" Pot and have been double distilling (stripping run via Pot, Spirit via Reflux) - you can see the background behind my process here: http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12933

I currently have 75 ltrs of TPW which has finished fermenting so I'm ready to go and would love any recommendations regarding the best method for me bearing in my I have both still types and am already double distilling.

Do I:

Stick to recipe and simply add botanical to the Pot still and do in a single run directly from the TPW?
    Do a 3rd run: water down my Neutral and run it through the Pot with botanicals?
    Simply add botanicals to the Neutral with no further "distillation"?
    Other??

Either of those first 2 option means adding Botanicals to the 2" Pot I'll be adding Botanicals - does anyone familiar with the 2" FSD have any specific advice about placement of the Botanicals - and also what they use as a "basket" that fits this still well?

Cheers and thanks!
rvn

equipment: FSD 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

Re: Gin Method & Still Type?

Postby PeterC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:05 pm

Option 2 "Do a 3rd run: water down my Neutral and run it through the Pot with botanicals" is the way to go. Odin's original recipe you just put the botanicals in the boiler. Some people worry about scorching them on the elements. Some people soak botanicals in high abv spirits overnight before distilling. Some put them in a muslin bag an attach them to something to hang in the boiler but are concerned than the vapour may not penetrate. I would suggest putting the botanicals in the vapour path. It is possible to fit a screen that the botanicals can sit on like in the picture below. Ask 5Star if they have this. Maybe a small bit of copper or stainless steel mesh could do this as well.

inline gin basket.jpg

I have not done this myself as I have a Carter head which is offset but I think the result would be similar. I have run this recipe leaving out the star anise (which I don't like) and adding lemon myrtle and it is quite nice. Make sure you run to a very low abv as some things only come out then.

You need to do some trialling to get your skills and the recipe you like worked out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PeterC on Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby rvn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks for the help Peter, much appreciated.
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Carol » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:22 am

Hi rvn

I have not made gin yet but my plan is to go with option 3 and use a very fine drawstring bag ( like a large tea bag - I got some on ebay for a few dollars) and put it in the column. You can also get diy tea bags from Daiso. The little cross bar at the bottom should stop it from dropping into the boiler - or a bit of mesh first just to make sure.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby rvn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks Carol, good point about the cross bar at the bottom of the column!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Carol » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:39 am

Yes - let me know how you go. How is the rest of the stilling working out?
I see you have 3 fermenters now. I am getting a system going now. While I am watching my stripping run I clean the fermenter and fill it up again. This way my three fermenters are always on the go. Currently I have 3 x TPW fermenting and the results of the last three stripping runs waiting for a spirit run.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby rvn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Carol wrote:Yes - let me know how you go. How is the rest of the stilling working out?
I see you have 3 fermenters now. I am getting a system going now. While I am watching my stripping run I clean the fermenter and fill it up again. This way my three fermenters are always on the go. Currently I have 3 x TPW fermenting and the results of the last three stripping runs waiting for a spirit run.

Hey Carol - first run went pretty well thanks. Results are here:

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12933#p223731

The main things I learnt are: break up the fores into smaller cuts so i can more accurately separate them and avoid mixing with hearts (I was low on jars which didn't help). Also YES I am now using 3 fermenters - if I'm going to baby sit the spirit run for 7 hours then at least get maximum yield - economies of scale and all that ;)

Ultimately I got the desired result and learnt a lot, so am very happy and appreciate all your advice. At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I'm curious as to your process after the spirit run - what are you doing with your neutral?

Cheers!
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Lesgold » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi rvn,

Following your threads with interest. Looks like Carol, you and I are all on a similar path of discovery. Been a lot of fun so far and the learning never stops. I’m doing the same sort of thing as both of you ie. TPW’s for gin. Only running two fermenters at this stage and can see that one more is a must. I’ve been stripping two washes and then doing a spirit run. I reckon a third stripping run added to the spirit run would be more economical in the long run. I now know approximately how much heads I will get in the spirit run so I started collecting about 2/3 of my heads in a large container and then swapped over to small 200ml jars to find where the transition into hearts comes in. I collect about 6 jars which then puts me well into hearts. I can then continue collecting hearts in a Demi until a slight jump occurs in the temp. I then go to collecting a series of small jars until the smell of tails (and the taste) is obvious. The abv. has also dropped considerably at this point. I then crank up the power and quickly run off the remaining tails. 24 hours later the heads and tails are sampled to find the cut off point at each end for hearts. There is only about 10 to 12 jars that I need to look at. The wizards will probably slap my wrist for doing it this way but it has worked out well so far.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Carol » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Now that I know I can make good neutral and have built up a small stock I am playing with it! I have made quite a few different "teas". The cold brew teas ( infusions) are quite different in 40% spirit than in water - much more flavour. I just buy them in the tea section at the supermarket and try them. Infuse 2 teabags in 300ml spirit for an hour or so and then leave them to rest a bit. I drink them over ice with soda or lemonade and am thinking of adding some gin extract to some. Some of the hot brew ones are good too - Twining's Chai Vanilla was nice over winter. Lemon and ginger "tea" was good too. Blackcurrant can be a bit too much like alcoholic Ribena. Currently I am drinking Red Seal Superfruits ( sounds healthy doesn't it!). Some have been not so good ( turmeric and blood orange was too strong on the turmeric side ) but there is always some one who likes something I don't - or it can go back in the still for another spirit run.
I have made a lot of cream liqueurs ( sort of Baileys) - 1 bottle of icecream topping, 2 cartons of long life cream and 500ml of 40% (or more - depends how strong you want it) plus anything else that I feel like adding (eg coconut essence). These are very popular with the ladies at the oppie where I help out. No shortage of taste testers there (but I keep the alcohol content for these ladies quite low as they are not "big drinkers". ) Currently I have salted caramel, peanut butter fudge, chocolate hazelnut and strawberries and cream. I made some kahlua ( Mrs. Mac Still recipe) and some lemon vodka. I have more lemon and orange zest macerating for another round of citrus vodka.
I just ordered some butterfly peas to try an ink gin. So I am just playing around with flavours rather than trying to create anything in particular.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby db1979 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Lesgold wrote:I now know approximately how much heads I will get in the spirit run so I started collecting about 2/3 of my heads in a large container and then swapped over to small 200ml jars to find where the transition into hearts comes in. I collect about 6 jars which then puts me well into hearts. I can then continue collecting hearts in a Demi until a slight jump occurs in the temp. I then go to collecting a series of small jars until the smell of tails (and the taste) is obvious. The abv. has also dropped considerably at this point. I then crank up the power and quickly run off the remaining tails. 24 hours later the heads and tails are sampled to find the cut off point at each end for hearts. There is only about 10 to 12 jars that I need to look at. The wizards will probably slap my wrist for doing it this way but it has worked out well so far.

Cheers

Les

Nothing wrong with this if you're after neutral, you know your still, the wash you're putting through it and you are checking your larger collection vessel for quality before combining all your hearts. If something goes wrong you need to be prepared to rerun it all. If you're not after neutral then you're better off collecting on similar size vessels so you can decide what flavours you want to keep.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby rvn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Lesgold wrote:Hi rvn,

Following your threads with interest. Looks like Carol, you and I are all on a similar path of discovery. Been a lot of fun so far and the learning never stops. I’m doing the same sort of thing as both of you ie. TPW’s for gin. Only running two fermenters at this stage and can see that one more is a must. I’ve been stripping two washes and then doing a spirit run. I reckon a third stripping run added to the spirit run would be more economical in the long run. I now know approximately how much heads I will get in the spirit run so I started collecting about 2/3 of my heads in a large container and then swapped over to small 200ml jars to find where the transition into hearts comes in. I collect about 6 jars which then puts me well into hearts. I can then continue collecting hearts in a Demi until a slight jump occurs in the temp. I then go to collecting a series of small jars until the smell of tails (and the taste) is obvious. The abv. has also dropped considerably at this point. I then crank up the power and quickly run off the remaining tails. 24 hours later the heads and tails are sampled to find the cut off point at each end for hearts. There is only about 10 to 12 jars that I need to look at. The wizards will probably slap my wrist for doing it this way but it has worked out well so far.

Cheers

Les

G'day Les, thanks for chiming in :)

Your method really makes a lot sense once you have an idea of your usual quantities / cuts and how your gear works. I'll definitely be adopting something similar once I'm familiar with my rig and quantities - I'm watching my first Spirit run from 3 washes (~20 ltrs of low wines) as I type this. I'm low on jars so I've transferred the obvious first litre or so of heads into a single container but I'm a bit of a cat on a hot tin roof waiting for a sign my heads are transition to hearts now.

Anyway thanks again for posting.

Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby rvn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:10 pm

Carol wrote:Now that I know I can make good neutral and have built up a small stock I am playing with it! I have made quite a few different "teas". The cold brew teas ( infusions) are quite different in 40% spirit than in water - much more flavour. I just buy them in the tea section at the supermarket and try them. Infuse 2 teabags in 300ml spirit for an hour or so and then leave them to rest a bit. I drink them over ice with soda or lemonade and am thinking of adding some gin extract to some. Some of the hot brew ones are good too - Twining's Chai Vanilla was nice over winter. Lemon and ginger "tea" was good too. Blackcurrant can be a bit too much like alcoholic Ribena. Currently I am drinking Red Seal Superfruits ( sounds healthy doesn't it!). Some have been not so good ( turmeric and blood orange was too strong on the turmeric side ) but there is always some one who likes something I don't - or it can go back in the still for another spirit run.
I have made a lot of cream liqueurs ( sort of Baileys) - 1 bottle of icecream topping, 2 cartons of long life cream and 500ml of 40% (or more - depends how strong you want it) plus anything else that I feel like adding (eg coconut essence). These are very popular with the ladies at the oppie where I help out. No shortage of taste testers there (but I keep the alcohol content for these ladies quite low as they are not "big drinkers". ) Currently I have salted caramel, peanut butter fudge, chocolate hazelnut and strawberries and cream. I made some kahlua ( Mrs. Mac Still recipe) and some lemon vodka. I have more lemon and orange zest macerating for another round of citrus vodka.
I just ordered some butterfly peas to try an ink gin. So I am just playing around with flavours rather than trying to create anything in particular.

Hey Carol, you've been busy! The tea sounds interesting and the liqueurs sound very appealing. What's your method for the Vodkas?

Also, since we have the same gear, and based on the above chat with Les, just wondering if have gained an idea of quantities from your spirit run from the Boka? IE any idea approximately of your breakdown of heads / hearts / tails from your full (I'm guessing around 20 Ltrs) boiler? (i ended with ~20Ltrs of Low Wines from the 3 TPW washes)

Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Carol » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Rvn
I use vegemite jars (lots of them) - take off in about 250-300ml lots. After fores I end up with about 22 jars. The rough breakdown is 1 litre of heads and 1.5 litres tails and the rest somewhere in the middle heads/hearts, hearts, hearts/tails. I bottle it in 2 jar batches with a note as to where it came in the run and the ABV eg 7/8 of 22 (90%) so I know which bottles come from where. So I use the early and late bottles to play with tea and creamy liqueurs and save the really nice stuff in the middle for a straight vodka or to put towards my (eventual) fancy gin run. My estimate is 10 x 700ml of 40% vodka from a spirit run ( but my runs have been with FFV not TPW so it could change. FFV has less sugar so the wash won't have as much alcohol in it as TPW.)
Currently I am saving the heads for a spirit run of their own ( when I get enough) and using the tails in the next spirit run of low wines.
I have just done the stripping runs for TPW and will do the first spirit run when I get a clear day!
My new system is to clean and fill the fermenter again while the contents are being stripped. So there will always be something to play with!

For the citrus vodkas I was lucky to be given some very fresh fruit and used a microplane zester (and froze the juice). I used high strength neutral (I think that batch was about 90%) and I have left it sitting in a dark cool place until the zest loses all colour ( not quite yet). It smells fabulous. Once it is finally done I will dilute it to 40% The Doctor posted somewhere about using stevia ( as a sweetener and a fixative - will need to check my notes for the proportions - I did not use a lot as I did not want it sweet) so that will be the plan. That is what I did with the first one and it looks just like a bought one!!! I am giving it a bit of time to see what happens as it ages.
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby rvn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Carol wrote:Hi Rvn
I use vegemite jars (lots of them) - take off in about 250-300ml lots. After fores I end up with about 22 jars. The rough breakdown is 1 litre of heads and 1.5 litres tails and the rest somewhere in the middle heads/hearts, hearts, hearts/tails. I bottle it in 2 jar batches with a note as to where it came in the run and the ABV eg 7/8 of 22 (90%) so I know which bottles come from where. So I use the early and late bottles to play with tea and creamy liqueurs and save the really nice stuff in the middle for a straight vodka or to put towards my (eventual) fancy gin run. My estimate is 10 x 700ml of 40% vodka from a spirit run ( but my runs have been with FFV not TPW so it could change. FFV has less sugar so the wash won't have as much alcohol in it as TPW.)
Currently I am saving the heads for a spirit run of their own ( when I get enough) and using the tails in the next spirit run of low wines.
I have just done the stripping runs for TPW and will do the first spirit run when I get a clear day!
My new system is to clean and fill the fermenter again while the contents are being stripped. So there will always be something to play with!

For the citrus vodkas I was lucky to be given some very fresh fruit and used a microplane zester (and froze the juice). I used high strength neutral (I think that batch was about 90%) and I have left it sitting in a dark cool place until the zest loses all colour ( not quite yet). It smells fabulous. Once it is finally done I will dilute it to 40% The Doctor posted somewhere about using stevia ( as a sweetener and a fixative - will need to check my notes for the proportions - I did not use a lot as I did not want it sweet) so that will be the plan. That is what I did with the first one and it looks just like a bought one!!! I am giving it a bit of time to see what happens as it ages.

Thanks Carol, very helpful as usual :text-thankyoublue:
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know , I have ordered a bunch of those seals with mesh built in.
Once they arrive I’ll make an announcement about them being available in store .
Cheers
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:21 pm

Interesting :handgestures-thumbupleft: they mesh all way to edge or do they have a border?
Last edited by bluc on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Sweet :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:11 pm

No border , these are the ones I’m getting probably 4 weeks out
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew

Postby bluc » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:14 pm

Building a particle filter these will be perfect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Cool :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Andrew

Next

Return to Beginners Questions