Running a bubbler?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Running a bubbler?

Postby Matt_Pl » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Merry Christmas all.

This year I’m looking at refining my process to improve my runs.

I’ve got an FSD neutraliser and I’m normally run my still on parrot abv and smell. Does anyone find that running on vapour temp or abv (electric) measurement allows a better split of heads, hearts and tails? I always take 300ml cuts not matter my run..

Thanks all.
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Re: Running a bubbler?

Postby bluc » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:19 pm

You see Eparrot change way before an alcometer does. Having said that I use smell taste to define cuts but the eparrot is a good indicator change is coming..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Only if you are repetitively running a wash with the -exact- same measurements of ingredients, fermenting temperature, cooling water, ambient temperature, wattage and a host of other things as a commercial distillery dose

At our level, there are a ton of variables and your 300ml cuts is a good practice, after running the same washes for a while, I usually use smaller ones on where i think the transitions points are, but thats not infallible either. the main thing im measuring during a spirit run is take off rate, i know if i go too fast, its going to smear, judging by drip, drip, dribble only goes so far depending on abv of the product as the viscosity can vary a bit by wash type and how fast your running (ie more water in the product)

You really dont need the parrot either. there's a guide out there somewhere on how the oldtimers used to do it via taste and feel (viscosity changes) but again some of that comes down to alot of repetition with the same recipe

A temp probe in your vapour path can give you a guide to abv, an E-parrot even more so, but one below the water line in the boiler is more handy for knowing where your run is at
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Amberale » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi Matt.
I also have a FSD Neutraliser.
I run it with 5 plates and a big packed section(500mm?) with 1 kg of copper and 10 SS scrubbers.
I run mainly FVFVW for neutral.
I have a FSD 50 ltr milk can with 2 x 2400 electric elements.

The things I have found work for me are.
I have a needle valve on the RC and I dump the RC cooling water to waste, it is about 60ltrs/hr during full reflux and around 6ltr/hr during take off.
This allows me to measure both the rate of RC cooling water(simple flow into a measuring jug and a timer) and the temperature of that water(thermometer in the jug).
My set up delivers a nice 2.1ltr/hr of 94% product when the RC water is at a temp of 63C.
This is in Vic so your temps may be different and your flow rates definately will be.
This helps me adjust flow during the full reflux stage.
I reflux for about an hour by the time I settle everything down.

I also measure and adjust my product rate every time.
I can eyeball it but measuring is better.

My set up is so stable that I get 94% from start to when tails arrive.
On a 45 litre run of 10% wash I get about 4.2 litres and then the abv at the parrot starts to drop and I get about 400ml of tails.
Smelly and rapidly lowering abv.

I can’t see how extra tech could really improve this still much but I’m all ears if you can come up with something. :)

Hope it helps.

AA
Last edited by Amberale on Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby tipsy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Matt_Pl wrote:Does anyone find that running on vapour temp or abv (electric) measurement allows a better split of heads, hearts and tails? I always take 300ml cuts not matter my run..

I use a controller built by Old dog with my Mac 4.
It uses a PID controller to turn the water in the reflux condenser on/off to maintain the vapour temperature in the still head.
I still use my own senses for picking the heads cut, but the controller is very good at doing the tails cut.

It doesn't make the spirit any better but it is another toy to play around with.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Ok first I will say I did build my own still and didn't buy a 5 Star one but did buy the sight glass's and seals from them

Basically I let the temp get up until the fores start to flow and collect them, then straight into reflux for 20 minutes to let all the higher fractions go up so when the heads are taken off that is all I'm taking. Then I put in back to reflux until all the plates are loaded and leave it for a good 10 minutes so the goodies can mix up real well.

Then just over a fast drip is my goal and for 3 to 4 hours my still will keep producing 93+%. Now when the lower sight glass starts to fog up I keep an eye on it and as soon as the second sight glass starts to fog up I put it back intro reflux to separate the tails. Then once the plates are loaded again I take off the good stuff until the hydrometer starts to rise. Then the feints jar come into play and it only takes about 20 minutes to get to 20%.

The 5 Star still you bought should work on the same principle it's just way flasher than mine :laughing-rolling:

But thats the way I roll when do a run

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Beginners Questions