New member, new T500

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

New member, new T500

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi all,

Yes, new member with a new T500 - there's a sucker born every day :roll:

I had a scan through the Beginner's Questions section and got most of the answers I was searching for, thanks!

I'm preparing to do my first TPW batch, after doing an initial cleaning run and then a sacrificial "get to know your still" run with the Turbo pack that came with the kit. That will be my first and last Turbo run ;-) I figure it will be a good learning experience and a baseline for comparison for later batches.

I have a few questions I haven't found answers for. Apologies if I missed them...

1. I'm intending to use the carbon filter system (a plastic bucket with an activated carbon filter inside another plastic bucket with a plastic tap) for the sacrificial Turbo run, but after I've used it can I still use it to filter rain water which I want to use to dilute future TPW runs down to 40% ABV?
2. If the answer to the above is yes, should I replace the carbon filter first and how often should I replace the carbon filter?
3. If no, is there any other use for the carbon filter system or should I sell it?
4. Once the TPW wash has completed fermentation I read it should sit to clear for a couple days before distilling. Should the air lock be removed, or is it preferable to keep it "sealed".

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I go along.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Re: New member, new T500

Postby Fatguts » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi and welcome.Your not a sucker, plenty on here still use a T500 or had one to begin with.
The plastic buckets are re usable. Just give it a good wash after use. I would suggest changing the carbon filter after it has had spirit passed thru it. You can use a new one for a few times if it only gets water passed thru it. I think the filter was about $8 last time i brought one.
As far as the air lock goes, I like to leave mine in whilst the wash clears out. helps to keep any bugs or nasties out. Hope this helps a bit.
Fatguts

equipment: 4", 4 plate glasser and a 2" all copper reflux still with a 2 meter packed column, 500 mm shotgun condenser and homemade parrot, all sitting on a 50 litre upside down beer keg boiler with 2 X 2400W elements.

Postby Boardy62 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Tesla101 wrote:Hi all,

Yes, new member with a new T500 - there's a sucker born every day :roll:

I had a scan through the Beginner's Questions section and got most of the answers I was searching for, thanks!

I'm preparing to do my first TPW batch, after doing an initial cleaning run and then a sacrificial "get to know your still" run with the Turbo pack that came with the kit. That will be my first and last Turbo run ;-) I figure it will be a good learning experience and a baseline for comparison for later batches.

I have a few questions I haven't found answers for. Apologies if I missed them...

1. I'm intending to use the carbon filter system (a plastic bucket with an activated carbon filter inside another plastic bucket with a plastic tap) for the sacrificial Turbo run, but after I've used it can I still use it to filter rain water which I want to use to dilute future TPW runs down to 40% ABV?

Your filters are best kept for either spirit and water separate, you can use them a couple of times on spirits and they will run real slow when clogged up) and you can boil them with i think Bi Carb soda to rejuvinate again.

2. If the answer to the above is yes, should I replace the carbon filter first and how often should I replace the carbon filter?

see above

3. If no, is there any other use for the carbon filter system or should I sell it?

I dont bother using it anymore, if you want water for diluting and it is hard to get use it for your spirit blending.

4. Once the TPW wash has completed fermentation I read it should sit to clear for a couple days before distilling. Should the air lock be removed, or is it preferable to keep it "sealed".

i now just cover the fermentor with pallet wrap and secure to top of fermentor the airlock can give false readings and you can look straight at you wash to see what is going on, wash clears usually 4/5 days after it stops working! 2 weeks is uasually good ( Tip your wash can stay in the fermentor (dont open the cover) for weeks and be ok, there is no rush (other than to have a drink) to have to run it, i have had washes up to 4 months and be awesome! keep wathing your washes you will get to know when its clear enough.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as I go along.
Last edited by Boardy62 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boardy62

equipment: FSD Neutraliser, two 2400w elements, gin caddy,100 ltr boiler
T500 reflux still and boiler,
pure distilling pot still head
power controller
Parrot and racking cane

Postby Tiprat67 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Hey Tesla
I usually rack mine after it has finished fermenting and leave airlock in.

I sold the EZ filter system with all the other stuff that came with it.
I have completed 4 TPW runs and now have 2 WBAB x 25l fermenting atm.
Tiprat67

equipment: T500 Copper

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Thanks for the replies :)

I've set up my cooling water reticulation system. It's 2 x 240L wheelie bins that are joined together at the bottom by valves and 1/2" hose (I used to use them for farming rain water). One bin has a 400W submersible pump in it that's rated at 9 cubic metres/hour (150L/minute if my maths is right). The reflux column output returns to the other bin.

I did a test run with about 5L of water in the boiler, just to make sure of no leaks and that the system would keep it cool enough. The temp started at around 20 degrees and once the water started to boil and with the needle valve wide open the temp raised to about 25 degrees, so it looks like it will work for a distilling run. I could vary the temp up and down by adjusting the needle valve. Closing it fully raised the RC output 70 degrees within a few minutes before I switched everything off.

I've also removed an repacked the copper and SS saddles in the column. I followed the instructions and just dropped them in without jiggling or tamping them in. I had about 40-50 SS saddles left over after doing this. Now the column rattles a bit if I turn it upside down and right side up again.

Next step is to do a cleaning run. I've searched around the forum for ways to do this. Some say just give the reflux column a citric bath, some say to do the 50/50 vinegar run, some had a combo of the two or even adding some salt to the vinegar/water mix.

I'm a bit confused. What's the recommended way to do a cleaning run on a virgin T500 copper reflux column setup?
Tesla101

Postby woodduck » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:47 am

Hi mate, welcome.

I don't think you should do a vinegar run with the T500. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that getting it that hot with warp the plastic top on them. I would just give it a rinse then a sacrificial alcohol run.

Good luck
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:05 am

woodduck wrote:Hi mate, welcome.

I don't think you should do a vinegar run with the T500. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that getting it that hot with warp the plastic top on them. I would just give it a rinse then a sacrificial alcohol run.

Good luck

Thanks woodduck, will do :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tesla101

Postby db1979 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 am

Welcome mate. As mentioned above already, I'd only use your filter for water, don't get any product near it. You can get stainless steel ones that will do the job, or just soak activated carbon in a glass jar for a few days. Run properly with harsh cuts and you won't need to filter at all.
Last edited by db1979 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Tesla101 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:51 pm

So, whilst waiting for the TPW to ferment out for my first batch I was reading up on the forum and thought "oh bugger, I haven't done a sacrificial run yet!" :angry-banghead:

I've done a vinegar run on both the pot still head and the reflux column head (just made sure to follow the "distilling water" guidelines and kept the cooling on the PC running flat out) which both went fine. :-D

I wasn't too keen on using the TPW batch for my sac run, so thought "what the heck, I'll just use the Turbo Pack" it came with. I thought it will be good to just practice doing a stripping run and then a spirit run and then taking cuts. After that I can put it in the poison bottle and use it for window cleaner. :think:

Now, I only have one fermenter which is full of fermenting TPW so I think "no problem, I'll just use Mrs Tesla's spare 35L esky", which has a good tight seal on it but not so tight that the CO2 can't get out. Anyway, I start to follow the instructions and notice that as I'm dissolving the 6kg of Turbo sugar it starts getting black. I'm like "shit, people are supposed to drink this??" :shock:

Next I pitch the Turbo yeast and then there's this packet called "Turbo carbon". I open the packet and I shit you not, this stuff is like tar. I throw it in the mix and stir it around and if the wash wasn't already black enough, now it's like friggin' liquid BBQ coal! Can. Not. Get. Any. Blacker.!! :wtf:

Now I'm sure once it's fermented, Turbo Cleared and Turbo distilled and then put through a carbon filter it comes out clear like water, BUT no freaking way am I going to drink it. :puke-huge:

I just gotta figure out how the heck am I gonna clean all that black shit out of Mrs Tesla's esky and not cop a hiding. :violence-smack:
Last edited by Tesla101 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla101

Postby RC Al » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:24 pm

:teasing-tease: bleach n foreshots cleans most stuff - thats how i sanitise things
Dunder has some interesting cleaning properties too as its acidic as well
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby db1979 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:34 pm

You say it's her "spare" esky? Problem solved. It's now a fermenter :teasing-neener: . Once she gets something to drink from your hobby she'll come round :handgestures-thumbupleft:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Tesla101 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm

db1979 wrote:You say it's her "spare" esky? Problem solved. It's now a fermenter :teasing-neener: . Once she gets something to drink from your hobby she'll come round :handgestures-thumbupleft:

lol db, I'm hoping so too. All in the name of science I say :-B

RC Al wrote::teasing-tease: bleach n foreshots cleans most stuff - thats how i sanitise things

yeah, it's not so much as a cleaning run, but more practice so hopefully i don't fjook up a real "drinkin" run 8-}
Tesla101

Postby RC Al » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:31 am

RC Al wrote::teasing-tease: bleach n foreshots cleans most stuff - thats how i sanitise things

That was for the esky :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:55 pm

RC Al wrote:

That was for the esky :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ahhh, d'oh! :oops:
Tesla101

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Soooo, found out that my T500 is fjooked.

Tonight I thought I'd give it a rinse before its maiden voyage on the weekend, just to make sure everything is ship-shape. Especially since I did a vinegar run in "distilling water" mode the other night. Note that I took all of the saddles out first and made sure that I didn't run it too hot, after reading about some of the problems others have had. I ran my cooling at 2L/min the whole time.

Anyhoo, turned the column upside-down and filled it with water and noticed it was leaking between the plastic and the top of the column. :crying-blue:

I can't believe these things are built from plastic, aside from being unreliable wouldn't it leach into the alcohol vapour as well? To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. :cry:

I'll be on the phone to the HBS I bought it from first thing in the morning for a replacement! :mad: Then I'll be looking at modding it with something made out of copper.
Tesla101

Postby woodduck » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:57 am

Yep they won't take the heat of steam. I doubt you'll get a replacement as you didn't follow the manufacturers instructions.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby scythe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 am

I can't recall exactly where but i think you can get a silicone cap to replace the plastic one at the top of the column.
Hey 5star, might be a market for them.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:42 am

woodduck wrote:Yep they won't take the heat of steam. I doubt you'll get a replacement as you didn't follow the manufacturers instructions.

Hi woodduck, thanks for the reply. Actually, I did follow the "Water Distillation" instructions that it came with. They say to remove the saddles, connect the cooling input to the PC cooling input and the cooling output to the PC cooling output, basically bypassing the RC condenser. They also say that a thermometer is not necessary - probably because the thermometer probe is on the output of the RC condenser. (which is bypassed)

I called the HBS, nice guy there. When I told him about the leak he said that "they're supposed to do that, some sort of pressure relief valve. How bad is it leaking?". I told him it was leaking pretty bad. He asked me to send him a photo of it leaking so he can send it back to the manufacturer for advice.
Tesla101

Postby woodduck » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:36 am

Ahh that's good then. Hopefully they look after you and get you sorted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 pm

How many times have we heard “they say it’s supposed to leak like that” :teasing-tease:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Next

Return to Beginners Questions