Fermentation seems to have slowed

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Fermentation seems to have slowed

Postby Grip Twister » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 pm

So my last and first wash I used 6kgs of turbo sugar in 21ltres water.
This my second one I have used 5kgs of Dextrose.
This wash seems to not be as active as the last one I did.

I left the lid just sitting for 14 odd hours then sealed it. But just before I sealed it I checked the action in the bucket and seems to be nothing else happening?
Have I done something wrong. The last wash was still bubbling black stuff at this stage. Now seems going clear and not much happening.

THANKS EXPERTS
Grip Twister

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Fermentation seems to have slowed

Postby db1979 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:37 pm

Stick your ear up against the fermenter, if you can hear fizzing then it's still going. If your airlock isn't active it's likely due to a leak in the seal. Also, check gravity over a number of days, if it's decreasing each day then it's still going.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Grip Twister » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 pm

db1979 wrote:Stick your ear up against the fermenter, if you can hear fizzing then it's still going. If your airlock isn't active it's likely due to a leak in the seal. Also, check gravity over a number of days, if it's decreasing each day then it's still going.

Nup not hearing any fizzing. :sad:
WIll check gravity now.
Grip Twister

Postby Grip Twister » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm

db1979 wrote:Stick your ear up against the fermenter, if you can hear fizzing then it's still going. If your airlock isn't active it's likely due to a leak in the seal. Also, check gravity over a number of days, if it's decreasing each day then it's still going.

Fermenter is 30 degrees celcius after 24hours.
Grip Twister

Return to Beginners Questions