HELP please: SLOW 2nd Distilling run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

HELP please: SLOW 2nd Distilling run

Postby Astro1986 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi everyone

I need some help again please. I run three batches from TP recipe and ended up with a total of 20 litres of 40%.

I added that into the still (Pure Distilling) to run again with the plan of taking proper cuts this time. Every one says that double distilling produces much better product.

It got up to temp of 75 and tap is in slow position but it seems to be really really slow. It's been on about 3 hours and it's only collected 30ml of foreshore so far? I'm starting to worry that I've wasted 20l of drinkable alcohol chasing better quality.

Can someone please tell me if the second run is usually so slow? Or what may have gone wrong?

Thankyou
Astro1986

equipment: Pure Distilling Boiler with reflux column
Soon to add pot still

Re: HELP please: SLOW 2nd Distilling run

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:20 am

Astro, where are you measuring the temp of 75?
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby db1979 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:41 am

Are you using a power controller?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Astro1986 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:07 am

Tesla101 wrote:Astro, where are you measuring the temp of 75?

Where the hole is in the column for the thermometer.

I opened the valve slightly and got a constant slow drip now. Been running for 16 hours on spirit run now and have about 5.6 litres. Seems to be sitting around 98% at last check and the temp is still constant on 75
Astro1986

Soon to add pot still

Postby Astro1986 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:08 am

db1979 wrote:Are you using a power controller?

Nope. Just the pure distilling still plugged into the power.
Astro1986

Soon to add pot still

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Maybe your element blew. Try filling boiler with water without still on top and time how long it takes to boil :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Astro1986 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:34 pm

bluc wrote:Maybe your element blew. Try filling boiler with water without still on top and time how long it takes to boil :think:

It's only like 4 weeks old. This is only it's 4th run. I can hear it running, normally on my 3 stripping runs it takes a few hours but that's with the tap on fast flow.

In this run now, I have the tap on slow and have collected nearly 8 litres. I think it will be done soon. Just taking a looong time to get there.
Astro1986

Soon to add pot still

Postby The Stig » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:40 pm

2” still with 2000w element = slow no matter how you dress it
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Dont think anything much happens fast in this hobby..except maybe summer rum ferments :laughing-rolling:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Lesgold » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi Astro,

I run the same rig. As you know, the ball valve has two settings. The “slow” setting is usually used only for taking off foreshots. It allows a lot more reflux to occur in the column. I then switch the ball valve to the normal setting to distill heads, hearts and tails on a 40% batch of low wines. This normally takes about five to six hours. Temp reading on my column is 78 degrees until I get close to tails. I also run a power controller and have added a needle valve to enable me to control the output.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Astro1986 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 pm

Lesgold wrote:Hi Astro,

I run the same rig. As you know, the ball valve has two settings. The “slow” setting is usually used only for taking off foreshots. It allows a lot more reflux to occur in the column. I then switch the ball valve to the normal setting to distill heads, hearts and tails on a 40% batch of low wines. This normally takes about five to six hours. Temp reading on my column is 78 degrees until I get close to tails. I also run a power controller and have added a needle valve to enable me to control the output.

Awesome thanks for the advice. Normally I have also opened up to fast position for a normal run however as people say to do spirit runs slow (pot still I know) I figured I would keep it shut. Took 21 hours!! But got there in the end.

Do you stop it when it hits 80c for the second time as per the instructions? I have found that with all 4 ru s now my temp sits dead on 75. Seeing as you run a power controller, why is that? I've heard that it's not needed on these as they are kind of underpowered. What exactly does the needle valve do or work amd where can I get one?

Thankyou
Astro1986

Soon to add pot still

Postby Lesgold » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:02 am

Hi Astro

I normally run flat out until the still gets up to operating temp. I find that I can turn the power down a bit during the run as the full 2000w is not needed to keep the rolling boil. As you said, the power controller is essential when using the pot still for a spirit run to control the output. I found the needle valve allows me to slow the run to exactly where I want it and make fine adjustments as required. The instructions that come with the unit advise to use the reduced flow when the temp climbs to 80 degrees. At this point you are into the tails and the reduced flow allows for more reflux to squeeze some extra good stuff out of the wash. When I start to hit tails, I run flat out and strip the remaining product off quickly and use that in a feints run later on. Couldn’t be bothered sitting around for ever trying to get that last bit out. From memory, I used a 1/4” stainless needle valve (BSP thread) from ebay.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Return to Beginners Questions