Modular System

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Modular System

Postby Walker » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 pm

Looking for some advice on parts. After researching for some time Iā€™d like to go with a modular system. For me it would be the easiest route probable a bit more expensive but no welding skills involved. I can easily get a 15.5 gallon SS keg lots for sale cheap around me. For the column would 40ā€ be a good start? I would like a sight glass to watch what is going on in reflux. I would then need a product condenser and reflux condenser. Read about using SS pipe for the product condenser and reflux condenser would that be a good way to go? Kind of generic questions but a start for me. Thanks
Walker

equipment: Nothing yet!

Re: Modular System

Postby Nathan02 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:13 am

Hi mate. If you are looking to build a bubbler then you can add as many or as little modular tees as you like. Also depending on what product you are intending to make. I make a lot of rum and I like my rum over 4 plates ( 4 modular tees with bubble plates inside, 1 per tee) as do most people and the general consensus is for 4 plates for rum. Some people like to run whiskey over 5 plates and have it a little bit more cleaner and refined. But then once again its all personal preference. I have just put down a macwhiskey wash and intend to run that over 3 plates. I wouldn't be using any less then 3 plates and modules for any brown spirit. As for the RC and PC you can build both out of copper I have in the past. But currently I am running a 4" stainless RC and 2" stainless PC.
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Re: Modular System

Postby Walker » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:42 am

Nathan2 I was looking at something much simpler. Just a 2ā€ column, sight glass the some sort of condenser. Off that one tee and elbow to a product condenser. Lots of tees and other fittings is well beyond the amount of money I want to spend. As it is a simple way is hundreds of dollars. Lots if other expenses also so a slow start is the way to go for me. Thanks
Walker

equipment: Nothing yet!

Return to Beginners Questions