1st Time Using Gin Botanicals basket

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

1st Time Using Gin Botanicals basket

Postby Biggles » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm using the botanicals basket with a T500 for the first time. Added 10lts of 40% to the cooker topped it up tp around 20lts tried to run it at 70°C and then all hell broke loose.
Boiled like crazy hissed alcohol steam dripped out green alcohol went up and down in temp 10°C at a time meaning I had to sit with it and keep adjusting the water flow.
Any idea what I did wrong?
Cheers
Last edited by Biggles on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biggles

equipment: Turbo 500
But I'm getting dubious?

Re: 1st Time Using Gin Botanicals basket

Postby Tesla101 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Hi Biggles, sounds like it didn't go well.

Gonna need some more info. Did you run the botanical basket with the alembic pot still head, or the reflux column? What was in the charge?

Pics would probs also give us an idea of your setup.

Oh and also, it's customary here to introduce yourself in the Welcome Centre too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Also moved your post here, dont think it belongs in the tried and proven section yet...
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Biggles » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 am

Tesla101 and Sam. Thanks for your reply much appreciated. As you can tell still new at the forum gig.
I'll try and find the intro section - want to do the right thing.
I thought I followed the instructions to the letter, using the T500 removing the saddles (the stainless steel ones and the copper) filled the basket with the packet of botanicals I bought from the brew shop.
Still Spirits Mint Leaf 62g.
Filled the condenser with 10lts of 40% and then topped it up to 20lts with water.
Then as I mentioned tried to maintain 65-70C but the column temp kept fluctuating by up to 15C and the whole thing was shaking.
Got some product but never really a good stream. I've done normal runs for years this is the first time it's behaved like this.
Cheers
Biggles
Biggles

equipment: Turbo 500
But I'm getting dubious?

Postby The Stig » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am

You essentially blocked the T500 causing what’s known as puking .
Put less stuff in the gin thing and make sure the vapor is going to be able to flow through it
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 am

Hey Biggles, my understanding (which could be wrong) is that the gin basket attachment for the T500 is designed to be fitted to the alembic pot still head, rather than the reflux column head. Maybe it's because the pot still head had more head room or maybe because the reflux column could still strip some of the flavours, even without the saddles.

My first "gin" I made was just 500mL of 93% hearts macerated in a jar with a packet of Mad Millie botanicals (that the missus bought for me) for about 12 hours. Then it was filtered and diluted to 40%. We had to go away and I didn't have time to do it any other way. I didn't have great expectations of it at all, it louched as soon as I diluted it to a funky sort of yellow colour. But the lady loved it and that's all that counted. Now she's happy for me to make her a bunch more :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Return to Beginners Questions