Size of still to output

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Size of still to output

Postby Piratizer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 pm

Hello there

Like many people I am in the process of acquiring licencing to produce hand santizer. I am looking at purchasing a still and taste doesn't matter. In my younger days I used a custom made still. It was quite large (100L boiler). I didn't know much about it, a friend made the still and I would use it occasionally.

While I am confident in using a still and producing the wash... I actually don't know much about the technical side of things.

My question:

What changes capacity (Litre output per hour) of a still is it the column size. Currently looking at purchasing this bad boy::: https://www.5stardistilling.com.au/peakst ... -still-set
But honestly not sure what I'm doing. Just working it out as I go.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Piratizer

equipment: T500 with an 80L custom boiler

Re: Size of still to output

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:01 pm

The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:01 pm

If you think you can make alcohol for hand sanitiser would suggest look at what the real price is for industrial alcohol as the shortage will be over before you start.
wynnum1

Postby Tesla101 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 pm

I don't want to discourage you, but there's a lot more to making a hand sanitiser than just running a still. I'd suggest that unless you're already equipped to make it properly, meaning that a) you make a quality commercial product and b) you don't get sued in case someone reacts badly to it.

I found the following article very helpful - https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-you-sho ... sanitizer/

Also, as wynnum eluded to - just the time it will take to get set up AND licensed may be a detractor also.

If you do decide to go ahead, then yeah - bigger is faster. Maybe something like this: https://www.5stardistilling.com.au/prod ... 0l-boiler/
Last edited by Tesla101 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Piratizer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:28 pm

We have a lawyer confident we will have all appropriate licencing in 48 hours and all the other ingredients aren't a problem. Commercial denatured ethanol and propanol is currently in shortage in Australia and according to the several companies we have discussed this with, it isn't likely to change. We looked at importing but it's difficult/near impossible to do currently. I am happy to be wrong about any of this of course, so if you know of a company selling cheap ethanol or propanol - get in contact.

The information I really need to look at is how big of a still do I need. How much of a difference does the diameter of 4" still vs 8". How much alcohol does a 4" diameter still produce per hour or run... Is the size of the boiler going to affect how quickly we produce or is it solely on the size of the condenser?

Do you guys know of a website with concise information on this or is going to be just a keep reading through forums sorta thing?

I really appreciate any information you are happy to give.

Cheers.
Piratizer

equipment: T500 with an 80L custom boiler

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Piratizer wrote: 4" diameter still produce per hour

About 2 - 2.5L per hour.
Good luck finding an 8" still off the shelf
Boiler size will dictate how long your run will be and how much per run you will collect
Another thing to consider is cooling water
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Jim-Bob-shine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 pm

Hand sanitiser :clap:
Jim-Bob-shine

equipment: to Much to list

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:11 pm