Running aReducer style booka question

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Running aReducer style booka question

Postby san89 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:23 am

Hi guys,
This is new to me so hopefully this doesn’t sound like a silly question.
I have built a 3” reducer style booka on a 50l keg, with 2x 2400w elements and a voltage controller. The first 1meter section is packed with copper mesh.

Now my question is when I’m running I heat up with 2 elements then switch back to one (the cooling coil will Easily Knock down the vapour even with both elements going). With 1 element on flat out and the other off the temp on the thermometer which is at the top of the packed section sits about 76-78 deg c and is stable. I leave it to full reflux for about 40 mins then take of at a couple of drips a second. Throughout the run it always sounds like the condensate is reboiling in the bottom of the second reducer where the take off is, the product coming out is not that hot and around the 94% mark and once set I don’t need to alter the take off valve sort of sounds like an old steam train chugging along. Is this sound normal or does it mean I have a problem?

Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
san89

equipment: None yet

Re: Running aReducer style booka question

Postby PeterC » Sun May 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Nice job! 1x2400W of power is plenty for a 2 inch Boka. You could use a power controller to reduce this more, especially when collecting fores. You could be getting lots of reflux and it choking in the top of your packed section. Once it starts you need to reduce power to eliminate. Rule of thumb is that you should be able to blow through the packed section with your mouth and not feel any significant resistance. If you can, it is packed too tight. Once you have collected foreshots you could also increase the take-off rate. My guess it 1.5L per hour is OK for a 2 inch system. You do not need to be taking off at azeo (95%) so long as your hearts are clean. Obviously too fast and everything is smeared. There are others here with more experience than me, just passing on the bits I learned.
Enjoy.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Re: Running aReducer style booka question

Postby Danbo » Sat May 30, 2020 7:42 am

I also run a boka. Looks a little different than yours. How long is your reflux condensor?
Danbo

equipment: 53l keg
3" column, Boka and pot head
5500w controlled
36" liebeg

Return to Beginners Questions