Shotgun condenser first attempt

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Shotgun condenser first attempt

Postby Rumblepants » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:06 pm

To clarify the elbow would be connected to the column arm via a ferrule union so i could put the PC on an angle if I wanted.
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby Lesgold » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:07 pm

Easy flanges make it modular. You may decide down the track to build a bubbler. The pc is made for you. The flanges also give you more options as to where your water inlet/ outlet faces. Similarly the same applied to bends and other components. Costs a little more initially and takes a bit longer to construct but it gives you flexibility. It’s up to you. Both methods will work and do the job.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby dans.brew » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 pm

:text-+1:
Flanges on each end do leave your options open to use the pc in many different scenarios or even on different types of still... if that is a consideration for you.
In regards to snap on fittings... i too went the cheap path and never again. :angry-banghead:
It did my head in playing with leaky fittings, changing orings.. no good.
Bought the dear brass ones here a while back and worth every cent. Plug and play and no drips!
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Rumblepants » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:29 pm

dans.brew wrote::text-+1:
Flanges on each end do leave your options open to use the pc in many different scenarios or even on different types of still... if that is a consideration for you.
In regards to snap on fittings... i too went the cheap path and never again. :angry-banghead:
It did my head in playing with leaky fittings, changing orings.. no good.
Bought the dear brass ones here a while back and worth every cent. Plug and play and no drips!

Direction of the inlet/outlet pipes is a great idea. I'll stick a couple of flanges on it. Thanks for the tip.

Any advice on soldering SS ferrules to copper pipe. The ones I have dont seem to fit inside the pipe without alot of grinding. I was planning on getting some kind of sleeve as the ferrules fit inside the flanged part of my tee and elbow sections.

Cheers
Rumble
Rumblepants

Postby chipboy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Buy expanded copper ones or flare the pipe or get good heat with silver solder?
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby scythe » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:14 pm

You will need to use copper joiners or have your pipe ends expanded to fit.
Aussie copper tube is measured on OD and so are the ferrules.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby drinkandibuildthings » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 pm

this is my first and last attempt at using soft solder to do anything still related and I will be using a tig from now on
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
drinkandibuildthings

equipment: 60 litre digi boil with an alcoengine reflux iv got a potstill build in mind with a thumper

Postby Lesgold » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Soldering is a funny beast. Get one thing slightly out of balance and it will do your head in. If prep, fluxing and heat are on the money, soft soldering is something that you can do with confidence every time. Don’t give up on it mate. It will work for you if you fix what the problem is. I can see that you have used far too much heat. Perhaps cleanliness of the copper or flux choice is your problem. Do a bit of research and make a few subtle changes and smile when you see that solder flow around a joint.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Rumblepants » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:41 pm

Here it is in all its ugly glory. Still got to put in the final collection pipe and do the top condenser. But she'll run in pot still mode alright.

I'm so glad the PC stayed water tight.

potstill_first_try.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rumblepants

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions