First Stripping Run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First Stripping Run

Postby Shaun » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:50 am

Hi again, up until now i have used my cm reflux still just for sprit runs as i didn't have the volume for a stripping run.

I have removed the packing and slowed the cooling to get a faster run, i am producing 100ml every 4 minutes @ 75%abv with a 2 inch column, the temp is sitting at around the 86 oC mark does this sound ok?
Last edited by Shaun on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Re: First Stripping Run

Postby PeterC » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:02 pm

That's 1.5 litres per hour and seems fine for a stripping run on a 2 inch column. Some go even faster. You could turn your reflux cooling off altogether if it was separate from your product cooling. You then control it by varying your power input.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby Shaun » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Unfortunately it is not seperate, that will be the next job to get a valve put in place.
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby RC Al » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Ignore the temp on a strip run

What product are you trying to produce?
Running a bit slower on a strip may help your end product for a neutral, but only if you do some rough cuts and keep some the tails out of the equation
If your looking to do rum/ bourbon etc then strip as fast as your condenser set up will allow you to bring as much flavour through as possible, collect down to 0-10%

I currently strip at 12 l/h with a 2" riser and a 6' 3/4 over 1/2 liebig - gas is good :music-deathmetal:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Shaun » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:52 pm

My understanding of a stripping run is to reduce a large volume so you end up with a shorter spirit run time.

All the runs ihave done in the past were straight spirit runs because my volume was 60l or less.
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby bluc » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:33 pm

You also get a bigger volume in boiler by stripping first..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Shaun wrote:My understanding of a stripping run is to reduce a large volume so you end up with a shorter spirit run time.

Incorrect, essentially your going to increase the time taken to do your spirit run.
You strip 2 or 3 wash's and water this down to below 40% then add back to the boiler.
Youve now gone from 10% or 15% alcohol in the boiler to 40%
Like RC says, it depends on your wash and end product but your going to take a lot longer to run this new boiler charge.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Shaun » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:25 am

The Stig wrote:
Shaun wrote:My understanding of a stripping run is to reduce a large volume so you end up with a shorter spirit run time.

Incorrect, essentially your going to increase the time taken to do your spirit run.
You strip 2 or 3 wash's and water this down to below 40% then add back to the boiler.
Youve now gone from 10% or 15% alcohol in the boiler to 40%
Like RC says, it depends on your wash and end product but your going to take a lot longer to run this new boiler charge.

True, but the overall time from first run to last run is reduced? And i only have to do cuts on one run instead of 4?
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby dist » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Strip run - fast
Spirit run - slow

You can skip cuts on strips, but def do them on spirit.

The reason why spirit run is slower is two fold.
First, like mentioned by Stig, your abv is higher, hence more time is needed to extract that alcohol.
Second, you want it to be low and slow, as this is what makes it easier for you to make cuts and reduces smearing - read makes your end product better quality.
dist

equipment: Brewzilla 35 with Alcoengine reflux and pot stills

Return to Beginners Questions