Beginner Questions - Adequate lid and Temp gauges?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Beginner Questions - Adequate lid and Temp gauges?

Postby druwade » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Hi all -

Over the course of a number weeks/months i've done a bunch of reading and learning around my first little still that is designed to learn. As I've gone through the research, and scouring the internets and books I've got a few questions I'm hoping I can get some guidance on:

1. Adequate lid : Digiboil 35L -> 5 Star 2" Pot

The lid from kegland has a bit of flex around about an inch of circumference where the two inch pot connects. Should I be concerned about this flex it seems the overall weight of the 5 Star pot is causing it. But you can definitely tell its quality and SUPER happy with the craftsmanship thus far. hers a small video of me moving the 2" pipe showing the flex around the top of the lid -

https://streamable.com/85zt1p

Should I look towards a better lid? Rather get it right to start.

2. Temperature Gauges for the Pot Still

The boiler itself has the temp control which is fine but looking at the pot still is there a need for a temperature gauge before the shotgun condenser should I look into something there? Or just after the looking glass? Is there any recommendations for other locations?

--------

These would be the first two questions off the bat. I have a tonne more around water cooling but Im only just starting on flow/temps/ how much water does there need to be a chiller-does this produce a better product etc but thats the next step!

Anyways - heres a some photos of the current setup, just sitting together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by druwade on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druwade

equipment: 35L digiboiler, FSD 2" pot still... For now.

Re: Beginner Questions - Adequate lid and Temp gauges?

Postby The Stig » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:14 am

That there is the reason I don’t like the digiboil .
The mangrove Jacks are a little stronger .
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby howard » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 pm

you have a very similar setup to mine, although i have a RC instead of the sight glass.
once the water cooling hoses were added, i wasn't comfortable with the setup.
i wasn't happy with the bit of flex either, and i have a carter head on its way, which will also add some weight.
i have already supported the still from above with SS wire supports, connected to overhead steel beams.
i might build a supporting jig eventually.
i think the usual place for a thermometer would be on the first 90 degree bend after the sight glass.
hasn't one of the 90 degree bends got a thermowell?
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby RC Al » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:40 pm

A keg and a weldless element or two are a good investment long term :teasing-tease:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby WhiskeySour » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:42 pm

From one noob to another I would say that temp gauge on a pot still is just a distraction. I'm an engineer and data/measurement does it for me, but based on many comments from the experience on this site I resisted the urge to include a thermo in my build and I have not thought twice about it
On a strip you are just running as hard as you can so temp is irrelevant, and on a spirit run I adjust power to maintain desired output flow rate so again temp doesn't matter
Happy to be corrected if I'm missing a trick here
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby RC Al » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:26 pm

The only trick is a temp in you boiler will let you know how much alc is left in there - the closer to 100 the less there is
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby WhiskeySour » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:55 pm

:text-thankyoublue:
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby druwade » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:51 pm

Thanks all for the review and comments - super happy.

The Stig wrote:That there is the reason I don’t like the digiboil .
The mangrove Jacks are a little stronger .

Agreed and you learn through trying. The idea was to go with a smaller reflux but after reviews here, decided with the 5star pot. Super disappointed but you get what you pay for - to gumtree to find a prefab worker and get some quotes. Copper for some bling or just SS.

howard wrote:you have a very similar setup to mine, although i have a RC instead of the sight glass.
once the water cooling hoses were added, i wasn't comfortable with the setup.
i wasn't happy with the bit of flex either, and i have a carter head on its way, which will also add some weight.
i have already supported the still from above with SS wire supports, connected to overhead steel beams.
i might build a supporting jig eventually.
i think the usual place for a thermometer would be on the first 90 degree bend after the sight glass.
hasn't one of the 90 degree bends got a thermowell?

I think I'll have to go down the support route myself, but im trying to a improve my research of ''measure twice, cut once' rather than by substandard and do workarounds.

RC Al wrote:A keg and a weldless element or two are a good investment long term :teasing-tease:

Need to start somewhere and produce a product for the mrs to enjoy before I get the green light for something a little more exotic and worth it

WhiskeySour wrote:From one noob to another I would say that temp gauge on a pot still is just a distraction. I'm an engineer and data/measurement does it for me, but based on many comments from the experience on this site I resisted the urge to include a thermo in my build and I have not thought twice about it
On a strip you are just running as hard as you can so temp is irrelevant, and on a spirit run I adjust power to maintain desired output flow rate so again temp doesn't matter
Happy to be corrected if I'm missing a trick here

whole heartedly agree, engineer/data analysis is my bread and butter as my profession so wanting to make sure i have the necessary outputs to ensure I create the best product I can especially when learning something new.

Thanks all for taken the time to help a noob.
Last edited by druwade on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
druwade

Postby Tesla101 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:41 am

On spirit runs in pot still mode I use a temp probe as an indication of when I'm going from heads to hearts and then hearts to tails, based on data collected from previous runs when doing cuts. I still do cuts based on taste, but the temp probe is a good guide. Of course it's going to be different for each wash, which highlights the importance of taking notes.

For spirit runs for a neutral in reflux mode I use it as an indication of when the column is stable. Once I start taking product, it's not much use because the column temp is pretty stable. Although the temp will rise too quick if you take too much product which throws the column out of stabilisation - until I get to tails. Then the temp spikes up and the abv drops and it definitely tastes of tails. As I'm collecting product for a neutral I know it's time to switch off.

I'm not advocating automation or running your still unattended, it's just another tool in the toolbox to get a better product.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby druwade » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:31 pm

I'm not advocating automation or running your still unattended, it's just another tool in the toolbox to get a better product.

I definitely don't want automation, enough of that in my life. I want to keep it simple, learn a tradecraft and build something I am proud of :) really just want to make sure I have the right gear before I begin. Assumption on the temp was purely for guidance in learning and appreciating.

Thanks for clarifying its importance, or decreased imporatance.
druwade

Return to Beginners Questions