On the rocks or mixed?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

On the rocks or mixed?

Postby NaturalBornStiller » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to find out how different styles of distilling cater to how the final product is consumed. I myself don't care for straight spirits :shifty: . I'm a rum drinker and prefer to mix my 60ml of 37% rum to 375ml of Pepsi Max. Will I still benefit from a pot still rum recipe or will it be lost with the cola compared to neutral and essences? -cheers.
NaturalBornStiller

equipment: None yet

Re: On the rocks or mixed?

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:20 pm

I drink everything on the rox :-B
I figure , I spend a load of time and effort making the best I can so I will enjoy the flavors of my labors :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:38 pm

Rarely drink on rox unless I created a very good spirit. I drink most things with real coke or ginger beer..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Bjohnman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:12 pm

I drink my mine neat, on the rocks or in a cocktail. Depending what I feel like at the time. Make the drink the way you like it :smile:
Bjohnman

equipment: 5 litre Alembic Pot Still
FSD 4 inch Modulat pot still with keg boiler

Postby dans.brew » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 pm

I rarely drink on the rocks either... most is mixed with coke. Just what im used to and how i like it i suppose.
A well pot stilled rum will out do a neutral with essence any day.
I personally never found any of the essences to taste anything close to rum. They were drinkable, but not rum... well not the flavour i think rum is anyway. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby SWstill » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 pm

Always struggled drinking whisky / rum on the rocks until i found a good one, now wouldn't have it any other way.

Starwood Nova aged in red wine barrels goes down well! Hoping to brew up some good whisky when i get my still and understand the basics.

After doing a few neutral / gin runs, any recommendations on whisky runs, considering the MacWhisky recipe first?
SWstill

equipment: 2.5L Alembic Pot Still for experimenting
2" FSD Boka - The Baby Maker
2" FSD Pot Still - The Stripper

Postby dans.brew » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:29 pm

SWstill wrote:After doing a few neutral / gin runs, any recommendations on whisky runs, considering the MacWhisky recipe first?

The MacWhisky is a very good starting point.. it makes a top drop. A bit more expensive in ingredients but well worth it. The lme really adds to the malt flavour. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:33 pm

I always struggled to drink whiskey/ Bourbon on the rocks until I found the ones I like.
Now love sipping on a drink on the rocks, a lovely way to finish a day and slowly unwind. The longer you take the more water in the drink so your mood automatically works out how to mix you drink.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:38 pm

I find I drink to fast if only a shot or two at a time..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Nice sized glass, 6 or 7 standard ice cubes and about 100ml of your finest , nothing better , maybe another 2 or 3 of the same :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:58 pm

I like to save energy Stig, so 250 ml glass filled with ice, then fillin the gaps with spirit and you only need the one drink.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby northerner » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 pm

I mainly drink whisky when it comes to spirits and always neat. Gin I will normally have with tonic. Not much of a rum drinker, don’t know why. Maybe I will give it a go.
northerner

equipment: Copper T500
FSD 2" Pot

Postby southern45 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:31 pm

NaturalBornStiller wrote:Hi all, I'm trying to find out how different styles of distilling cater to how the final product is consumed. I myself don't care for straight spirits :shifty: . I'm a rum drinker and prefer to mix my 60ml of 37% rum to 375ml of Pepsi Max. Will I still benefit from a pot still rum recipe or will it be lost with the cola compared to neutral and essences? -cheers.

Okay I am a rum drinker - either neat, over ice, mixed with cola or ginger ale. From my experience, any "neutral + essence" product seems to very easily get lost in the cola. The flavour dissipates and you just get that sickly chemical aftertaste. A pot stilled molasses based rum will not. You'll totally still taste and smell it. It's 100% worth the effort to do it right (although waiting for rum to age on oak can test my patience).
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby scythe » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:48 pm

I quite enjoy a rum and tonic during the summer months.
Im quite happy to drink just about any style of spirit without a mixer.
Or with one, depends what we have on hand in the house, but I'm not going to let not having a mixer stand in the way of enjoying a tipple.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:22 pm

As the ol saying goes 'a dram a day keeps the doctor away' :laughing-rolling: and as I'm doing a heap of experimenting with fruits to make brandy one just has to have a dram each day just to see how it's aging :laughing-rolling:

So for me I just use my scientific wine theif and go 5 points of 65% and 1-1.5 points of water to decanter it then spend the next 5 minutes wrapped with the after taste :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Birdman85 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:01 pm

I use those tiny square whiskey glasses. Filled to the brim with ice, a nip and a half of bourbon and about a nip of coke.
If I'm drinking neat, it has to be no rox.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby Birdman85 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:03 pm

SWstill wrote:After doing a few neutral / gin runs, any recommendations on whisky runs, considering the MacWhisky recipe first?

Its a good recipe but quite sweet. I'd suggest swapping the wheat for rye or trying a small batch first.
Birdman85

equipment: 50L keg boiler, home made modular 2" pot still and CCVM.

Turbo500 (birthday gift)

Postby NaturalBornStiller » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Well, I must admit I forgot I posted this question...... :shifty: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

It looks like the pot still product comes out as a winner for both on the rocks and with mixers.
That'll make it easier to get in to the game as with column choice. Time to get ordering some parts. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NaturalBornStiller

equipment: None yet

Postby Shaun » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 pm

I use a neutral with essence and always mix it, am a JD drinker so i buy the Tennessee Bourbon the one that comes in the twin pouch from SS.

Not sure if it is just me or what but i put in 100ml with a can of pepsi max and 2 of those huge ice cubes, the ones that are 6 to a tray.

I have never been much of a straight drinker but want to try an American Honey recipe that i can drink over ice.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby Yonder » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Out of the house I drink whisky or rum on the rocks. At home, i keep a bottle of my homemade in a beer fridge and forget the rocks...just that wonderful, mellow taste. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Next

Return to Beginners Questions