First Spirit Run Done

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First Spirit Run Done

Postby Wellsy » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Not so much a question as a HUGE THANKS to everyone for their help, encouragement and support.
First spirit run has been done and dusted now and i thought i might post my results so others can see what they might get and perhaps not make the same mistakes i made.
I started with 36 litres at approx 35% ABV of BWKO. I ended up with 19.3 litres of which i kept 10 after tasting. I kept a spread sheet with every bottles ABV recorded. I used kiwi guide to cuts as my reference point. I put the first 3 litres into a big jar Present for the missus to use to clean hands . Then stripped 300 ml into stubbies except for 2 900 mil jars i took at 75% abv.
I smelt the 5 jar and the last jar after 24 hours and could not smell a difference. Lesson 1 [/b]do not try and smell cuts in the same shed you are doing a strip run in.
finished strip run cleaned up and relaxed. I went to ABV changes, mine started at 80% ,so i worked backwards from 79% until i got those sharp biting tastes, ta dar, first cut made.
Then I jumped to 65% abv jar and tasted it, amazing and I drank that sample so it got to stay, jumped ahead a couple more and the smell was not good but the taste was not too bad but i wanted the best i could get so out it went.
Tomorrow the adventure continues as I play with ABV for oaking and wait to see what happens.
I must admit Feeling overwhelmed when i was struggling with the smell but i just got a chair and stopped rushing, went back to my notes and jumped in.
Thanks guys I only just took my first steps but i know for a fact I would never have even got to this point without your help.
stay safe and sane and roll on the next 3 months.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: First Spirit Run Done

Postby The Stig » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:41 pm

Congrats mate , hurdles 1, 2 and 3 passed .
Now for the next 756 :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Lowie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Welcome to the rabbit hole mate...
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Carol » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:43 pm

Well done Wellsy. Good that you are keeping notes!
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby northerner » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:34 am

Well done mate - following your journey closely as I am a couple of months behind you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
northerner

equipment: Copper T500
FSD 2" Pot

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:43 am

Any questions just ask northerner, my response might not be the answer lol, but happy to share whatever I discover, good and bad.
The tasting was the biggest challenge for me so I went back to my notes. I was paranoid about the level in the still getting to low so kept everything on an excel spreadsheet. I knew if I took more than 50% average abv it would be too low. The online calculator told me this. So my spreadsheet not only toLd me what each jars abv was it also kept a running total of the average ABV. I did not even get close as the abv dropped very quickly at the end.
The way I did it was very intense and hands on but I allowed a whole day to do it with no interruptions.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby scythe » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 am

For next time wellsy,
Try filling your boiler with water above your elements then add your low wines.
That way your guaranteed not to expose your elements at the end of a run.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks Scythe
I thought I had plenty to spare but as it was the first time I was anxious. I still had about 15 litres in there so that was plenty.
Its good advice thanks if i am ever doing a smaller run.
Wellsy

Postby northerner » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:11 am

Wellsy wrote:Any questions just ask northerner, my response might not be the answer lol, but happy to share whatever I discover, good and bad.
The tasting was the biggest challenge for me so I went back to my notes. I was paranoid about the level in the still getting to low so kept everything on an excel spreadsheet. I knew if I took more than 50% average abv it would be too low. The online calculator told me this. So my spreadsheet not only toLd me what each jars abv was it also kept a running total of the average ABV. I did not even get close as the abv dropped very quickly at the end.
The way I did it was very intense and hands on but I allowed a whole day to do it with no interruptions.

northerner

equipment: Copper T500
FSD 2" Pot

Return to Beginners Questions