Newbie bourbon lovers

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Newbie bourbon lovers

Postby chipboy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:20 am

dans.brew wrote::text-+1: on the Angel yeast.
Been using a fair bit of the stuff myself this year and very happy with it. Used it with corn, barley and are about to run an oat wash from it.
You can really get a lot from 20kgs of milled grain as ive been doing Gen 1 AG with Angel and then using the spent grain for for multiple Gens of sugarheads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Dan, to get this back on track, have you tried the cornflakes (CFW) recipe with angel yeast, some quick checking shows approx 19,4 grams of starch in 28 grams at least in US cornflakes. Worth thinking, I need to think if you would use any sugar?

Your thoughts / experience is welcome.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch. Home made mash tun.

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:33 am

you will need at least 10kg corn flakes in 40l water to do cornflakes all grain better off with cracked corn imo or flacked /maize from hbs..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby dans.brew » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 am

:text-+1:
I would just get some cracked maize/ corn from feed store if your wanting to use angel yeast. I think my last bag was about $20 for a 20kg bag. This with a bit of yeast doesn't make the ferment too expensive. Once done chuck a bit of sugar back in and around you go again!
I've only done cfw as a sugar wash with good results. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:47 am

For a few years all I did was CFW and I found the one I aged for 18 months comes a very close second to my first single malt run, I did age on CFW for 12 months and it isn't a patch on the other one so I'm using it as a base for a few experiments.

The first one with the sphagnum moss is ageing nicely with a total distinct flavour and today I mixed some crushed/powdered licorice root and some all spice herbs in a litre to macerate for a few days then i'll run it thru my minime.

With my first single malt run I did several generations where I added cracked corn the first time and more cracked barely the second time. Now rather than setup my 4 plate bubbler I did all the runs in my 2" pot still doing strip runs then a nice slow spirit run. Decanted to 65% and aged using my big domino going 7 grams a litre and charring the toasted oak with my blow torch.

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby chipboy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Ok so cornflakes (expensive comparatively) are a 1:1 given their starch levels, interesting.

So cornflakes plus plus equivalent sugar will give progressive outcomes, extrapolating between straight CFW plus lots of sugar and an all grain mash.

Corn here I come! I am only on 25 litre fermenters (3 of) and 50 litre boiler, so the plans begin.

Thanks!
chipboy

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:40 pm

If thin mashing More refined sugar =less flavour also allow room for grain in fermenter. 40l water 10kg grain takes up about 50l space. The grain will soak up about 1l per kg you need to squeeze that out or volume will suffer..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby chipboy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Point taken and understood, I agree the grain will give better outcomes limiting wild fermentation and squeezing it out being the main complications.
Learning time.

Thanks again
chipboy

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Hey ruddy crazy what recipe did you use for your single malt runs

Was it the one in tried and proven ?
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:17 pm

Wellsy wrote:Hey ruddy crazy what recipe did you use for your single malt runs

Was it the one in tried and proven ?

G'day Wellsy,
I malted 5 kg's of barely myself and just to be sure I had the D.P. I went and bought a kilo of Joe white Malt and used this link
https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash/ to work out the strike water temp. I used my 50 litre keg mashtun with a 2 ring burner under it and hooked up the thermocouple to my didgital display for the temp reading. My mashtun has a 1-1/2" triclamp at the base of the keg and I drilled and tapped a 1/8" bsp thread to suit the thermocouple.

Once the water was heated to strike temp I put all of the crushed malt in and used my paint stirrer (cleaned first of course) to give the wash a good mixing then put a sleeping blanket around the mashtun. Every 15 minutes or so I would give it a good stir and then started using my refractometer to see if the conversion had started which it was :happy-partydance: . Several times I had to take the sleeping blanket off to raise the temp and kept checking the SG.

After about 3 hours I did a iodine test and it came out the conversion had finished.

So this was my first AG successful run and I thought just doing a single malt would of been the easiest which it was.

Now as I only used 20 litres I gave it a sugar bump to get the volume up to suit my 60 litre fermenter and I did several generation sugar bumps where first the spent grain was removed and 5kg's of cracked corn was put in. then for the next generation after the spent grain was removed 5kg's of cracked barely was thrown in.

So now got 4 litres of the first run, 5 litres each on the second and third runs aging, now I did have enough wash left over I did a mix of feints and the wash and put 3-1/2 litres down on oak.

Having drams of this stuff and the taste justs better every time so I decanted a bottle using all 4 ageing jugs and that blend is my goto shed dram.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks mate
I got to be honest I got lost and am thinking that all grain is not for me, I don’t even have a big pot I can use to cook anything. All good though as I love the results of my sugar heads.
I will try the angel yeast I ordered but if that fails I willlive in happy ignorance lol

Thanks for passing on the info mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:45 pm

Wellsy just grab a 50 litre beer keg and cut the top off leaving a couple of inch's on the raduis, now keep the off cut and pop rivet some tabs on so it can perform as a lid to keep the heat in. A cheap 2 ring burner or even one of those green can burners the big shed sells pretty cheap. I initially heated the water up with one of them but when the flame went out I found I had run out of green gas cans so I switched to the 2 ring crab burner. Like I said in my post above a sleeping blanket is all thats needed to insulate it but do remember to take it off when using gas heat :laughing-rolling:

Then get stuck into doing a single malt and on the plus side the now mash tun can double as the fermenter with the use of a bit of duct tape :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Lol
I love your confidence in my abilities mate. I am still only allowed to use scissors with rounded tips, one day I will get to use pointy ones.
I already have a big 3 ring burner that I used for melting lead.
I suspect mate I will be picky your brain relentlessly in 12 months after I have lots of spirit ageing and I am ready to to take the next step.
Sitting here sipping on my 2 week old BWKO and really enjoying it. Suddenly getting older is no longer a problem as my spirit is ageing just as quickly. Life suddenly has new meaning :))
Wellsy

Postby Shaun » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Can someone post a pic of the angel yeast.
Shaun

equipment: 2" CM Reflux Still
50L Keg

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:02 am

9B07DDFD-9F76-4755-B612-00FC66D728CA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wellsy

Postby Shaun » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:00 am

This is the stuff i use now, have taken a pic of ingredients to compare.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby bluc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:35 pm

Yes needs to have yellow rectangle that one you have shaun looks like bakers yeast..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:59 pm

bluc wrote:Yes needs to have yellow rectangle that one you have shaun looks like bakers yeast..

:text-+1: If that one converts unmalted grain I would be highly surprised going from the ingredient list.....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Shaun » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:21 pm

I haven't done grain just sugar, yes is a bakers yeast, was just checking on what it is.
Shaun

50L Keg

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:27 pm

The angel yeast with the yellow label is what the guys all use for an all grain wash ( without added sugar) without the hassle of heating up and cooking the grains. Makes life easier while delivering a deeper flavour profile
Wellsy

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions