Newbie bourbon lovers

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Newbie bourbon lovers

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Hey guys
Any newbies unsure where to start I would recommend the Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off if you have a pot still and enjoy bourbon. Already drinking my first stripping run after 10 days on OAK. I thought I would just have a taste but I needed a full glass neat to get the full flavour. Can’t imagine how good it will be after 3 months, and it is not going to last 2 years. I better get another spirit run organised lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Newbie bourbon lovers

Postby FilthyPhil » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:53 pm

Wellsy wrote:Hey guys
Any newbies unsure where to start I would recommend the Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off if you have a pot still and enjoy bourbon. Already drinking my first stripping run after 10 days on OAK. I thought I would just have a taste but I needed a full glass neat to get the full flavour. Can’t imagine how good it will be after 3 months, and it is not going to last 2 years. I better get another spirit run organised lol

If you reckon it's good enough to drink after a stripping run why would you bother even doing a spirit run?
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:35 pm

Oops, I told you I had a glass full, I am drinking my first spirit run.
It’s still very young but most enjoyable. And it ferments out in under a week so you can do stripping runs often.
Hopefully will get second spirit run done this weekend, just depends if I can get a stripping run done on Saturday.
This is a great recipe and obviously very forgiving.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Nathan02 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:01 pm

It is a nice drop and not to hard for a newbie. I find well aged UJ gives the bigger cherry flavours
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby SWstill » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:56 am

Wellsy wrote:Hey guys
Any newbies unsure where to start I would recommend the Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off if you have a pot still and enjoy bourbon.

I was toying between doing a Rum or Whiskey after my initial WBAB spirit run, this has made me lean to BWKO!
Where is best to get the Corn, Wheat & Barley and which type did you use?

Complete newbie trying to get my head around things :greetings-waveyellow:
SWstill

equipment: 2.5L Alembic Pot Still for experimenting
2" FSD Boka - The Baby Maker
2" FSD Pot Still - The Stripper

Postby Wellsy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:41 am

Hello SW
I got main from a produce store here in Bendigo. It is basically pet food if your pets are chooks :)
Some of the petbarn place might have cracked corn, Whole wheat or whole barley mate. Don’t stress that it is not human grade we are only using for flavouring not eating the grains.
I purchased 3 x 20 kg of each and total cost was 70:00 approx. so it is cheap to get this way
Don’t stress about being a newbie as I had not done anything like this until I jumped in boots and all.
Wellsy

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:55 am

Wellsy wrote:Hello SW
I got main from a produce store here in Bendigo. It is basically pet food if your pets are chooks :)
Some of the petbarn place might have cracked corn, Whole wheat or whole barley mate. Don’t stress that it is not human grade we are only using for flavouring not eating the grains.
I purchased 3 x 20 kg of each and total cost was 70:00 approx. so it is cheap to get this way
Don’t stress about being a newbie as I had not done anything like this until I jumped in boots and all.

If can find a place that supply's for race horses as they get drug tested and have to be more careful with the food not being contaminated.
wynnum1

Postby WhiskeySour » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:57 pm

Nice one Wellsy
I'm about to strip gen 6 of Zak's corn flake whiskey, then a spirit run. Gen 1-4 spirit run has been on oak for about 6 weeks and tasting great, I'd recommend this one also for bourbon drinkers.
I have been tossing up whether to keep going on gen 7 or start again, but I might have to switch over to bwko to do a comparison
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Wellsy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:18 pm

Definitely worth trying whisky, just had a couple of glasses tonight on ice.
Bloody amazing after 10 days.
I actually left it on the bench for 20 minutes and the smell changed completely. Started out a little acetone like but switched to vanilla after that long. So I left the lids off the jars on oak.
I even impressed the missus when she has a little sip.
Why did I wait so.ong before starting this pastime :)
Wellsy

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:35 pm

If you want an easy to make burbon grab some angel yeast. The flavour is way above sugarhead whiskey. I have been sour washing with great sucess and am currently trialling not grinding for for people without access to a grain mill.
Also try get hold of "new oak" makes a big difference.(for any american whiskey)

Macs burbon knock off is a good drop but all grain burbon is on a whole nuther level :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WhiskeySour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:41 pm

Yea I was thinking the same thing bluc, time for some angel yeast
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Wellsy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:13 pm

bluc wrote:If you want an easy to make burbon grab some angel yeast. The flavour is way above sugarhead whiskey. I have been sour washing with great sucess and am currently trialling not grinding for for people without access to a grain mill.
Also try get hold of "new oak" makes a big difference.(for any american whiskey)

Macs burbon knock off is a good drop but all grain burbon is on a whole nuther level :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not sure I understand Bluc, are you saying angel yeast will take this to another level, or are you recommending another recipe that requires angel yeast mate ?
Wellsy

Postby WhiskeySour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:07 pm

Check out the "mash not required" thread Wellsy. The angel yeast has enzymes already in it that allows for grain sugar conversation at the same time as fermentation. Basically makes an all grain ferment as simple (maybe, I'm yet to try it) as a sugar head wash like bwko
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby chipboy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Yes was thinking the same, my angel turned up yesterday.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Yees. Angel yeast will create an "all grain mash" as simple as making a sugarhead..
Make sure you get one with yellow rectangle on packet lt Only comes in 500g packets.. very important get right one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WhiskeySour » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:08 pm

What's the delivery time like at the moment Chips?
WhiskeySour

2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby Wellsy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks guys,
I want to experiment with some rye in the BWKO but I will read up on mash not required as well as investigate where to get this magical angel yeast from.
The BWKO ferments so fast it will give me a nice base to allow to age and drink when I start experimenting with a more grain based wash.
The BWKO is fantastic so if you guys are saying all grain is even more fantastic I definitely need to take that step as well :)
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:27 pm

bluc wrote:Yees. Angel yeast will create an "all grain mash" as simple as making a sugarhead..
Make sure you get one with yellow rectangle on packet lt Only comes in 500g packets.. very important get right one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hey Bluc
I have only been able to find the yellow rectangle one from Ali express. Is it available in Australia or does it need to be imported ?
No stress if it needs to be imported as I have brought from Ali before and delivery is usually a couple of months so that gives me plenty of time to stockpile BWKO lol
Wellsy

Postby chipboy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Sour,

Suprisingly good, about 1 month, border force looked at it but did not open it.
Last edited by chipboy on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby dans.brew » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:47 pm

:text-+1: on the Angel yeast.
Been using a fair bit of the stuff myself this year and very happy with it. Used it with corn, barley and are about to run an oat wash from it.
You can really get a lot from 20kgs of milled grain as ive been doing Gen 1 AG with Angel and then using the spent grain for for multiple Gens of sugarheads. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Next

Return to Beginners Questions