Newbie bourbon lovers

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Newbie bourbon lovers

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 am

Hello Dan
Mind if I ask a couple of silly questions, on the milled grain do you mill it down to flour, or simply just crack the seed. Is a mill the only option for doing this at home or will a food processor do the job ?
As for using the spent grain for sugar head washes I am a little confused as to why if the AG is so much better or have I missed something.
And for those doing generation AG mash is that simply done by adding some of the backset to the grain while it is still hot, or is some Dunder added as well.
Sorry if these are answered in the no wash needed thread but I am only halfway through the 20 pages.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:40 am

Lots more flavour as the fermentables come from converted starchs in the grain rather than a more tastless refined cane sugar(like rum, molasses has lots more flavour then white sugar) grab a malt muncher mill bout $60 grinding 10kg grain with a food processor would prob not do it a lot of good. While its not made for it I have been grinding cracked corn through my malt muncher for couple years and have not killed it yet :handgestures-thumbupleft:

And when you mill depends how you are mashing, some grind to flour but then while you heat you have to constantly stir or it will burn. Traditional barley mash you just crack the seed and the outside husk forms a filter bed. Lots hurdles with mashing.
Or take the easy way chuck grain into water add angel yeast. Stir and wait :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks again Bluc for all the info mate, I had better google malt muncher mill everything I could find was $200:00 plus.

Yes I understood you get better flavour using the grains sugars, that is what is confusing me about using the spent grains to do a sugar wash, would it not be better to simply turf the spent grain and use new grain instead of adding sugar to the spent grain.

Damm the more I read the questions I get lol.
I might ask them in the proper thread so as not to confuse everyone. This was meant to be a recommendation of BWKO as a great first was for those wanting to do a bourbon. Then the next steps can be taken after people are comfortable with this wash.

Thanks guys you know I am going to be pestering you with more questions:)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:40 pm

still plenty flavour in grain for a sugarhead and will still produce a resonable spirit :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby dans.brew » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Generations is simply retaining the yeast bed and/ or adding backset (dunder is the term for rum backset).
My AG mashes over the years have mostly been malted with the exception of a couple angel yeast mashes and i have done pretty much all of the malting myself.
A lot of time goes into it and because of this i have always tried to get the most from my effort and sugarheads achieved this with great results imo... especially if my efficiency was down a bit in my AG.
Even after a AG mash the grain still retains a bucket load of flavour and any residual sugars left behind can be washed out.
Sugerheads with spent grain are a good compromise between flavour from an AG and quantity.
In regards to milling the grain, all the ferments ive done over the years from milled grain to some degree have had more flavour than compared to those made using whole grain.
The degree of milling depends a bit on the situation and circumstances on how you plan on using the milled grain.
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Legend Dan
makes perfect sense. I am pushing through a strip run tonight so I can have a play day in the shed tomorrow with another spirit run.
It takes me all day and in the immortal words of maxwell smart "and loving it"
Next step is to plan a trip to melb and central covid out Dandenong to get some rye and more importantly one of them new fangle roller mill machines lol.
Freight is just too big a killer on that stuff

i think i am definitely going to have to get me some of that Angel Yeast to give an all grain a run.

I noticed in the no wash thread lots of guys were doing rice, oats, or barley, or corn. no one seemed to be doing a blending wash, is this because the grain ferments at different speeds and it is better to do stripping runs of a single grain and then mix those low wines at the desired rate for the spirit run. or have i misread things
Wellsy

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:48 pm

I am doing 70/20/10 corn malt rye. Then %93.75corn %6.62 oats. Then 70/20/10 corn malt wheat. Then blend the 3.
20@ backset each gen.
Last edited by bluc on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Amberale » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:47 pm

Wellsy wrote:Legend Dan
makes perfect sense. I am pushing through a strip run tonight so I can have a play day in the shed tomorrow with another spirit run.
It takes me all day and in the immortal words of maxwell smart "and loving it"
Next step is to plan a trip to melb and central covid out Dandenong to get some rye and more importantly one of them new fangle roller mill machines lol.
Freight is just too big a killer on that stuff

i think i am definitely going to have to get me some of that Angel Yeast to give an all grain a run.

I noticed in the no wash thread lots of guys were doing rice, oats, or barley, or corn. no one seemed to be doing a blending wash, is this because the grain ferments at different speeds and it is better to do stripping runs of a single grain and then mix those low wines at the desired rate for the spirit run. or have i misread things

Hi Wellsy.
There should be a decent horse feed supplier out your way.
Not necessarily a big shop but a farmer/supplier.
Make a couple of calls to your local saddler or pony school.
Mine has a cracker and sells 20kg bags of cracked barley, wheat or oats for under $20 a bag.
A ton of cracked barley cost me about $250 last year.( for stock not whisky :( ).

They also stock cracked corn.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:55 pm

[quote="Amberale
A ton of cracked barley cost me about $250 last year.( for stock not whisky :( ).
They also stock cracked corn.[/quote]
Like the 80l kegs you want for troughs
Last edited by bluc on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:38 pm

Thanks amberdale
Produce store is where I got my cracked corn from. I brought whole barley and wheat but cannot find a supplier for rye. Looks like I will have to get that and malt from one of the bigger home brew places. A ton for $250:00 I wonder how big a tub you would need to ferment that, could it be done in a swimming pool lol
I just started my ninth generation of BWKO tonight and will be doing my second spirit run tomorrow.
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:40 pm

bluc wrote:I am doing 70/20/10 corn malt rye. Then %93.75corn %6.62 oats. Then 70/20/10 corn malt wheat. Then blend the 3.
20@ backset each gen.

Apologies for being anal retentive bluc but I don’t thinkyour second batch adds up mate lol
Wellsy

Postby RC Al » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:44 pm

I've had some of Bluc's gear, its definitely better than 100% :teasing-tease:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:35 am

Now that’s a perfect explanation RC :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby wynnum1 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 am

Wellsy wrote:Thanks amberdale
Produce store is where I got my cracked corn from. I brought whole barley and wheat but cannot find a supplier for rye. Looks like I will have to get that and malt from one of the bigger home brew places. A ton for $250:00 I wonder how big a tub you would need to ferment that, could it be done in a swimming pool lol
I just started my ninth generation of BWKO tonight and will be doing my second spirit run tomorrow.

WESTON RYE MEAL 25kg is $50 in Brisbane so if can find a place that supplies for bread making but the grain going to be cheaper..
wynnum1

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:28 am

Thanks Wynnum
I been googling like crazy bakery supplies and all I get is bloody bakeries lol
There are a couple of places in Melb that have grain and I will be there in a couple of months so I just need to be patient. That unfortunately is not my strong suit
Wellsy

Postby bluc » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:30 am

Wellsy wrote:
bluc wrote:I am doing 70/20/10 corn malt rye. Then %93.75corn %6.62 oats. Then 70/20/10 corn malt wheat. Then blend the 3.
20@ backset each gen.

Apologies for being anal retentive bluc but I don’t thinkyour second batch adds up mate lol

Oops 6.25% :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by bluc on Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Amberale » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:50 pm

bluc wrote:[quote="Amberale
They also stock cracked corn.

Like the 80l kegs you want for troughs[/quote]

If you mean produce supplies have the feeders I want then, no they don’t.
I have plenty of water troughs but they are concrete and 500 litres.
What I want are indestructible large (25ltr+) feed buckets.
A couple of your precious kegs will do me just fine. :teasing-neener:
Amberale

Postby Wellsy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Being a country boy I have seen bulls “playing” I can understand why you want something solid lol
Wellsy

Postby Amberale » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 pm

Wellsy wrote:Being a country boy I have seen bulls “playing” I can understand why you want something solid lol

Yes mate.
Also not after good ones.
I’m happy with frankenkegs after someone with my welding skills has blown holes in them.
:)
Amberale

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:02 am

Why not just use standard kegs, no need for the rare 80L ones.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions