First spirit run - too much copper causing reflux?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First spirit run - too much copper causing reflux?

Postby northerner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:33 pm

Finally got my first 'proper' spirit run in today (still underway) after also stripping some TPW for another time.

My question is about the amount of copper mesh I should have in my 2" FSD pot? I am running a TPW which has been steeping with botanicals for gin for a couple weeks. I ended up throwing it all in to the boiler (botanicals included) and was expecting for some good (well, at least distinctive?!) flavour to come through. However, at the moment it seems to be more 'neutral' than I expected.

I have a sneaking suspicion I have too much copper mesh in the riser and it is generating some reflux? ABV was 85%. I put a reasonable 'wad' in and, although not super tightly packed in, it is very, very snug. I couldn't really find much info on how much to put in for the sulphur - all I keep seeing is 'not a lot', but I'm unsure what that means as it's a very relative term!

Thanks

Graham
northerner

equipment: Copper T500
FSD 2" Pot

Re: First spirit run - too much copper causing reflux?

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:40 pm

If you rerunning hearts of hearts that you’ve soaked botanicals , I wouldn’t have any copper in the pot still.
Some people will run copper in the riser to the Carter head but I guess it’s personal preference
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby northerner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Ahh so if it's already gone through copper at some point before this stage no need for more copper?? I'm only thinking about the sulphur.

northerner

FSD 2" Pot

Postby northerner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Also - 'hearts of hearts'? A stripped run followed by hearts cut from this would qualify??
northerner

FSD 2" Pot

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:22 pm

northerner wrote:Ahh so if it's already gone through copper at some point before this stage no need for more copper?? I'm only thinking about the sulphur.

On a personal note with my 2" pot still and the very first I made to get started I always made sure I had that metre length of 1/2" copper pipe inserted. I do feel and do stand to be corrected that COPPER MUST be in the vapour path on every run.

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Hearts of hearts is as clean as it’s going to be, no need for more copper
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby druwade » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:53 pm

I understand hearts but heart of hearts? Can someone help inform a noob.
druwade

equipment: 35L digiboiler, FSD 2" pot still... For now.

Postby Lesgold » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi northerner,

A little bit lost on your opening comments. Could you please explain everything you did in detail so that we can work out what the problem may be. For example, we’re the botanicals placed in a TPW hearts neutral @ about 45% ABV? How did you make your neutral? Did you perform stripping runs using your pot followed by a spirit run using the reflux? That sort of detail would help.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:17 pm

druwade wrote:I understand hearts but heart of hearts? Can someone help inform a noob.

It’s like saying the best of the best.
Hearts of hearts just means no chance of anything but hearts
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Yep, only use the best of your cleanest cuts.
Because you will want to collect all of it to make sure you get all of the flavours of the botanicals (they come out individually at different points of the run).
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Now you’ve got it .
But I would also like to hear the answer to Les’s question
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby northerner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Lesgold wrote:Hi northerner,

A little bit lost on your opening comments. Could you please explain everything you did in detail so that we can work out what the problem may be. For example, we’re the botanicals placed in a TPW hearts neutral @ about 45% ABV? How did you make your neutral? Did you perform stripping runs using your pot followed by a spirit run using the reflux? That sort of detail would help.

Well, here's the story. And before I start this I know full well it's not ideal. Beginners impatience and waiting for some parts to arrive from Melbourne meant I didn't follow the procedure I would have liked too, and am from now on.

Here's what this run is:

-TPW which fermented well and came to 0.99. Racked and left for a week or so
-No stripping run as at that stage I was waiting on a part for my pot still
-Ran through a reflux still and made cuts as best I could to take out a decent middle portion (hearts-ish I guess but I'm too inexperienced to be confident at this stage)
-'Hearts' were steeped with botanicals at approx 40% for approx 2 weeks
-This was then all put through 2" pot and cut again, which is where I'm at.

New washes are now starting to go through proper stripping runs in the pot and will then go through reflux for neutral before steeping etc. So my process is changing for the better I think....

Cheers,

Graham
Last edited by northerner on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northerner

FSD 2" Pot

Postby northerner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 pm

scythe wrote:Yep, only use the best of your cleanest cuts.
Because you will want to collect all of it to make sure you get all of the flavours of the botanicals (they come out individually at different points of the run).

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense. Get the best you can before infusing it, so you don't lose a heap of infused product due to harsher cuts later in the process. Got it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
northerner

FSD 2" Pot

Postby druwade » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:56 pm

scythe wrote:Yep, only use the best of your cleanest cuts.
Lesgold wrote:Hi northerner,

I figured as much :handgestures-thumbupleft: Didn't think it was a new process. Cheers boys
druwade

equipment: 35L digiboiler, FSD 2" pot still... For now.

Postby Lesgold » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:14 pm

Have a go at Odin’s gin recipe as a starting point. Produces a good gin with very little effort. Pretty well fool proof and it works every time. It’s the basis for all my gins. Good luck with your journey.

Cheers

Les
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Yep, what Les said :)

Do your stripping run, then after you have enough stripped do a spirit run. Do good cuts and use hearts for your gin. Macerate your botanicals in your hearts for a day and then distill "on the herbs" for your gin run. Toss the first 10mL of bitter juniper and collect until it gets "tailsy" off the still. Odin's Easy Gin 101.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby northerner » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:59 am

Thanks guys, already got 24L low wines for next run this weekend :handgestures-thumbupleft:
northerner

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Wellsy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:03 am

Good to see you got the production line up and running mate.

It’s awesome fun isn’t it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby northerner » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:37 pm

Wellsy wrote:Good to see you got the production line up and running mate.

Yup! And addictive.

Currently nearing end of reflux run on the 24L low wines which was stripped from TPW.

I am trying to work out how much the reflux compresses the heads/tales and what a rough idea of hearts would be. Currently taken off about 5L of 93%, definitely very 'clean' smelling after first 1/2L or so. From my reading on here, a reflux run will get more hearts than a pot run but still unsure on quantities. Any ideas?

Cheers
northerner

FSD 2" Pot

Postby dans.brew » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 pm

northerner wrote:
Wellsy wrote:Good to see you got the production line up and running mate.

Yup! And addictive.

Currently nearing end of reflux run on the 24L low wines which was stripped from TPW.

I am trying to work out how much the reflux compresses the heads/tales and what a rough idea of hearts would be. Currently taken off about 5L of 93%, definitely very 'clean' smelling after first 1/2L or so. From my reading on here, a reflux run will get more hearts than a pot run but still unsure on quantities. Any ideas?

Cheers

My last TPW spirit run (3 years ago) i ran 26ltrs @ 40% and kept 5.7ltrs of hearts (not sure what abv) and put 2.4ltrs of heads and 1.7ltrs of tails in feints jar.
Not saying your hearts cut will be the same, but just an example. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Next

Return to Beginners Questions