Grapefruit recipe

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Grapefruit recipe

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:10 am

Hey guys
I have searched the site but can’t find anything specific to grapefruit. We have a tree and I hate seeing them thrown in the bin as no one wants them.
I found Mac,s citrus wash thread which has a lemon recipe and suggests oranges Nd grapefruits can be used.
Has anybody had experience with this. I am looking for a wash style feather than an infusion a
Due to having a pot still so no neutral available as well as have a tree full of fruit.

Any guidance will be most appreciated.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Re: Grapefruit recipe

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:18 am

Could try swapping the Grapefruit for something else as probably not that useful to ferment.
wynnum1

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

Try Mac's lemon recipe, what have you got to lose ??
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:02 am

Wellsy if you don't have a refractometer it's time to buy one mate as when dealing with fruit it's handy to know what the brix is ( SG for dunnies) :laughing-rolling: Now if it is low in brix then by going the sugar bump it's only going to be good for making a neutral and to make it a decent one it would need to be stripped first.

It's all good fun playing with fruit but one does need a few tools to see just what we are dealing with and a refractometer is one handy tool.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am

The Stig wrote:Try Mac's lemon recipe, what have you got to lose ??

Nothing at all mate :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:29 am

RuddyCrazy wrote:Wellsy if you don't have a refractometer it's time to buy one mate as when dealing with fruit it's handy to know what the brix is ( SG for dunnies)

Cheers Bryan

So a refractometer measure how strong a fart is ?????
Or does it measure a farts weight so you know if it is easily moved or if you need to push it from the room. I usually just use the Stig method for that, stick your finger in it and then taste it :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 pm

The Stig wrote:Try Mac's lemon recipe, what have you got to lose ??

Does this work with bakers yeast or is the EC-1118 recommended due to the lower temp fermentation and the high fruit content
Wellsy

Postby The Stig » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:52 pm

I would use EC-1118 so it’s not imparting tat yeasty flavour , just be ready for 2 month ferment time
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:36 pm

Wellsy wrote:
RuddyCrazy wrote:Wellsy if you don't have a refractometer it's time to buy one mate as when dealing with fruit it's handy to know what the brix is ( SG for dunnies)

Cheers Bryan

So a refractometer measure how strong a fart is ????? That all depends if you ate baked beans or curried eggs :laughing-rolling:
Or does it measure a farts weight so you know if it is easily moved or if you need to push it from the room. Again that depends whether you want to play dutch ovens :laughing-rolling:

Now on a more serious note they are pretty cheap at your local HBS and for distilling and doing AG they are a great tool to have mate so go grab one and if you don't know how to use it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: we can hold your hand and teach you if thats possible :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Beginners Questions