Sugar washes vs Mash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Sugar washes vs Mash

Postby Micky_ashman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Hey Guys, I got a T500 and just got myself a alcoengine pot still for stripping runs and possibly Gin.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are between the 2 and is it worth mashing through the small pot still or just continue going on my way with double distilling TPW. Also rough cost of the extra equipment I'll need set it up as the wife is getting annoyed at the cost :D

Cheers guys
Micky_ashman

equipment: Turbo 500 beginner

Re: Sugar washes vs Mash

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:44 pm

Welcome to distilling Micky there is always just one more thing lol.
Can I suggest you point out to the little lady that it is now under 7 weeks until the fat man comes and you are trying to help her by providing lots of gift ideas.

It is an assumption but given most reflux still strip out flavour and pot stills dont the effort of a grain mash may well be wasted on anything you are going to run completely through the Reflux still.

anything stripped in the pot will keep most of the flavour so there should be carry over if you then run the low wines through the reflux still. Even more is kept if you do the final spirit run through the pot still. So it really depends what you are looking for and how much time and effort you are prepared to put in to get it mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Micky_ashman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:19 pm

Cheers Wellsy
Yeah wasn't going to run it through the T500 just thought with the pot still I might try a couple of mashes see if the taste is completely different
Micky_ashman

Postby Wellsy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:25 pm

I have not tried a grain mash yet mate but am told there is a big difference.
It is on my list and am waiting on the angel yeast as i only have bakers yeast at the moment.

I just want to get some drinks in the cupboard so i can still drink some while aging others lol. I believe the grain mashes are a slower ferment so best i get some drinks put away before i start on that road lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby howard » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:55 pm

Micky_ashman wrote:Hey Guys, I got a T500 and just got myself a alcoengine pot still for stripping runs and possibly Gin.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are between the 2 and is it worth mashing through the small pot still or just continue going on my way with double distilling TPW. Also rough cost of the extra equipment I'll need set it up as the wife is getting annoyed at the cost :D

Cheers guys

if HID is annoyed already, you have a couple of choices.. ;-)
1) give it up now, sell all your gear and pretend it never happened
2) invent an imaginary friend. so when you keep coming home with yet more equipment (which you will) you can explain "my friend give it to me"
3) only come home with new equipment when she is at work.

seriously, probably a couple of $30 30l plastic fermentation bucket and maybe a mash bag.
our friend at still-it has a video (read the replys by technicians brewery)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWqPCVFpQ5Q
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby RC Al » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:35 pm

Stripping any wash is benificial for neutrals, you can run a little faster from a 40% abv boiler charge, or you can strip out some more flavour by diluting the strip to 10-20 %

If you like scotch/rum, once you work out the sugar wash version of those with the pot stil, the neutral will become a secondary thing for swimbo
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Micky_ashman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:46 pm

howard wrote:
Micky_ashman wrote:Hey Guys, I got a T500 and just got myself a alcoengine pot still for stripping runs and possibly Gin.

Cheers guys

if HID is annoyed already, you have a couple of choices.. ;-)
1) give it up now, sell all your gear and pretend it never happened
2) invent an imaginary friend. so when you keep coming home with yet more equipment (which you will) you can explain "my friend give it to me"
3) only come home with new equipment when she is at work.

seriously, probably a couple of $30 30l plastic fermentation bucket and maybe a mash bag.
our friend at still-it has a video (read the replys by technicians brewery)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWqPCVFpQ5Q

I like your thinking :)) I'll check him out. I was thinking I might have to get a bigger boiler being only 25L but do most mash do a smaller batch? Also wasn't sure it that pot still would be good enough for a decent product
Micky_ashman

Postby Micky_ashman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:53 pm

RC Al wrote:Stripping any wash is benificial for neutrals, you can run a little faster from a 40% abv boiler charge, or you can strip out some more flavour by diluting the strip to 10-20 %

If you like scotch/rum, once you work out the sugar wash version of those with the pot stil, the neutral will become a secondary thing for swimbo

Only seen the scotch one when I was looking for a comparison between the two. I'll look for the rum as well thanks
Micky_ashman

Return to Beginners Questions