Whiskey bourbon "bite"

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Whiskey bourbon "bite"

Postby sammyi19 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Hey guys I've got an odd question I guess. So I've got a t-500 and make my neutrals, I'm reasonably new and I'm in the process of finding flavours that I like (f.y.i I'm in the process of building a pot still for the boiler) but what I'm finding is that the flavoured brew doesn't seem to have that "bite" (for lack of a better word maybe tang?) So flavours are one thing I'm getting my head around that I enjoy but for all the flavours I've bought I can't seem to get the bite im looking for, as stupid as it sounds but im brewing to smooth and mellow (I brew to mix with coke) I feel I'm just missing that "gee I've mixed that too strong" aspect of alcohol sounds like a ridiculous problem to have that no matter how strong I mix spirits they are to smooth but for a guy not knowing what I'm talking about that's the best I can describe it.
sammyi19

equipment: Still spirits T500

Re: Whiskey bourbon "bite"

Postby RC Al » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi Sammy

I take it your doing cuts?

Commercial spirits regularly include a bit of heads and tails that is supposed to get smoothed out by barrelling (flavour and economics), what your missing is most likely heads bite that you've been conditioned to like over the years, Learn to live with out it, its better for you :cool:

Get that Pot Still done and skip the cordials for a more genuine taste :music-deathmetal:
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Haha, yeah, if you’re doing it right it shouldn’t have that bite that cheap spirits do.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby WhiskeySour » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:24 am

Bourbon is typically made with a small percentage of rye in the back bill which gives it a certain 'spiciness'. This could also be the flavour you are used to / missing

As already stated, move on to a flavoured wash like BWKO or CFW and you will no doubt find what you are looking for :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Return to Beginners Questions