sugar wash

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

sugar wash

Postby jman69 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi there, just wondering if neutral spirit that was made with ordinary white sugar, and dos'nt taste as good as it could, could be re distilled to improve the taste? or is there another way to improve it?? It is drinkable at the moment but i am hoping it could be better.Normaly i use a 8 kg.production pack to brew my spirit which tastes fairly reasonable.
jman69

equipment: reflux

Re: sugar wash

Postby The Stig » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Ditch the turbos and move on to something better and learn cuts
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BradM » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Yep, can always re-distill. Just make sure you water it back down <40% and that your elements don't run dry.

You can put some bicarb of soda or sodium carbonate in the spirit for a while before re-distilling it.
http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2792&sid=517cec50ce3600a28a86820156c59718
I haven't done this yet - I'm sure someone with more experience will pipe up.
BradM

equipment: Pure Distilling boka. 1st edition.

Postby southern45 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:19 am

Yes, but if it was originally a turbo yeast wash I wouldn't bother. Just use the product for cleaning or killing weeds. Sugar is cheap. Put down a new wash of TPW or WBAB (search the forum for recipes) and go from there.
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby jman69 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the replys fellas. think i'll try to re distill and see what happens?
jman69

Postby jman69 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:20 pm

Stig , i'm only new to this hobby so will be sticking to my turbo still for now. Later on, when i'm ready and more confident i will start to experiment with other ways. All my other distilations have been pretty reasonable so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jman69

Postby hgwells » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:48 pm

jman69 wrote:Stig , i'm only new to this hobby so will be sticking to my turbo still for now. Later on, when i'm ready and more confident i will start to experiment with other ways. All my other distilations have been pretty reasonable so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Think you have the wrong end of the stick, don’t think that the stig (or anyone else on this forum) would have a go at you for having a turbo still, what IS being suggested that if you are using turbo wash, turbo yeast, turbo sugar (which all make your washes look like tar and taste like crap)or turbo clear, to go and investigate other options I.e. TPW or one of the other sugar washes as you will find that you will end up with a much better smelling and tasting wash and a far better end product. No matter what still you are using.

:-D
Last edited by hgwells on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:21 pm

hgwells wrote:
jman69 wrote:Stig , i'm only new to this hobby so will be sticking to my turbo still for now. Later on, when i'm ready and more confident i will start to experiment with other ways. All my other distilations have been pretty reasonable so far. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Think you have the wrong end of the stick, don’t think that the stig (or anyone else on this forum) would have a go at you for having a turbo still, what IS being suggested that if you are using turbo wash, turbo yeast, turbo sugar (which all make your washes look like tar and taste like crap)or turbo clear, to go and investigate other options I.e. TPW or one of the other sugar washes as you will find that you will end up with a much better smelling and tasting wash and a far better end product. No matter what still you are using.

:-D

:text-+1:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:00 pm

You can certainly re-distill it and make good cuts to improve it but as already been suggested, a turbo yeast based wash is probably not the best place to start for clean neutral.

I agree, Stig was definitely suggesting ditching the turbo wash in favour of something from the tried and proven section, not telling you to ditch your current still. I can recommend either WBAB or TPW for a nice clean neutral. WBAB is my go to for neutrals BTW. These washes will produce a wash with a lower ABV than the turbos so will obviously have a smaller yield but it will be of far better quality due to less chemical additives and unstressed yeast. It's worth following the rule of thumb for sugar too; no more than 1 kg sugar per 5 litres of wash to keep your yeast happy. Happy yeast = a clean wash = a clean result (if you run your still right and do good cuts).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:11 pm

I agree with these guys mate, Stig is not saying replace the still mate, he is definitely saying replace the wash you put into it. Try the wheat bix all bran wash mate it mates a great neutral.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Redline » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:44 am

so when u do s TPW and run it in a t500 does it run the same or do you still need to do ur cuts and mess around with it?
Redline

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby hgwells » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:50 am

Redline wrote:so when u do s TPW and run it in a t500 does it run the same or do you still need to do ur cuts and mess around with it?

You should always do cuts (even with turbo wash). Throw the manual that came out with the T500 and read the “how to run a T500 properly” thread, believe me once you get the hang of it you will never go back and won’t believe that you were drinking the crap you are currently making (no offence :-D )
Last edited by hgwells on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 am

:text-+1:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby jman69 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:10 pm

Oh, i get it now. that makes a lot more sense. Sorry Stig, i'll start looking into some different washes and see how we go.
jman69

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:10 pm

Nice work jman
Most here only want to help mate, but as a newbie like me there is so much to learn and absorb

Have a couple of reads of the newbie section mate heaps of great tips in there.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby jman69 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks welly, I new there would be a wealth of information here, thats why i joined and i'll certainly have a read. Also after work today i went and bought the ingrediants for my first t.p.w. so we'll see how that goes. :dance:
jman69

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:41 pm

The recipes and variations are never ending mate.
Wellsy

Postby Redline » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:04 am

hgwells wrote:
Redline wrote:so when u do s TPW and run it in a t500 does it run the same or do you still need to do ur cuts and mess around with it?

You should always do cuts (even with turbo wash). Throw the manual that came out with the T500 and read the “how to run a T500 properly” thread, believe me once you get the hang of it you will never go back and won’t believe that you were drinking the crap you are currently making (no offence :-D )

the problem I am having guys is this,

I love booze, mainly rum, bundy OP on the rocks generally, gueensland gold rum in my t500 turbo spirit is tasting better than bundy IMO

My nose smelling parts were mostly removed or damaged when i had surgery years ago so I cant smell buggerall.

I cant smell most things so I am a bit buggered how I am meant to 'smell' the cuts to pick the best ones???

or is it tasting them also?

should I just make a TPW and run it and go from there or will I be a black sheep amongst the purists on here ^:)^
Redline

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:18 am

Taste is just as important if not more so than smell.
Your just going to get pissed while making your cuts :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RC Al » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:37 am

Give it a go mate, as said you should be making cuts reguardless of the wash

You may be able to get you alcometer breaking partner to help you out :romance-kisscheek:

There are many ways to tell some parts of cuts, rubbing between fingers and feeling the viscosity is one, heads have a different sting on the lips vs alcohol.You will get there eventually, its just an additional hurdle to jump.

Rinse and spit lots lols
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Next

Return to Beginners Questions