INKBIRD ITC-306 Temperature Controller

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

INKBIRD ITC-306 Temperature Controller

Postby schoolofmonkey » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:37 pm

I have a INKBIRD ITC-306 Temperature Controller, it has a thermal probe on the end, I've only ever attached it to the side of the fermenter.
It's about 2-4c difference from the internal temp, so I was wondering if the probe safe to put into the fermenter during the fermentation, I figures I'd use the airlock hole, stick the airlock in seal it with a bit of blutak or putty.
The probe itself has a metal casing, but the cord is the standard plastic/rubber.

Would it be safe to do after sanitizing it?

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 1.30.26 PM.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schoolofmonkey

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Still

Re: INKBIRD ITC-306 Temperature Controller

Postby bluc » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:40 pm

Wash with soapy water would do. From memory I didnt think they were waterproof? I have only ever used them in thermowells..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby schoolofmonkey » Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:44 pm

bluc wrote:Wash with soapy water would do. From memory I didnt think they were waterproof? I have only ever used them in thermowells..

I have 50% junkahol spray I use for sanitizing everything, works well.

The probe looks like it's sealed, but not 100% sure:
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 4.42.00 PM.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schoolofmonkey

Postby Moonshyner » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:51 pm

schoolofmonkey wrote:I have a INKBIRD ITC-306 Temperature Controller, it has a thermal probe on the end, I've only ever attached it to the side of the fermenter.
It's about 2-4c difference from the internal temp, so I was wondering if the probe safe to put into the fermenter during the fermentation, I figures I'd use the airlock hole, stick the airlock in seal it with a bit of blutak or putty.
The probe itself has a metal casing, but the cord is the standard plastic/rubber.

Would it be safe to do after sanitizing it?

Thanks

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-09 at 1.30.26 PM.jpeg

It looks like you have the INKBIRD ITC-306T.
If it has a metal casing, then it is NOT safe to put in liquid.
There is a model that has a plastic casing for use in fish tanks etc....BUT I wouldn't use it in a fermenter.

I have the ITC-308 (which is similar) and use it with a long (60cm) thermowell that can go all the way down to the bottom of the fermenter. I only go to about 3/4 depth of the fermenter with a heat wrap around the 30L fermenter.

I used to stick it to the side of the fermenter...but it was a PITA and not accurate.

Just drill a 1/2" hole (12.5mm) in the lid for the thermowell.

Google "60cm 8mm OD thermowell" and you should find the one for $9.95 from Vic AU.
Moonshyner

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
Pure Distilling Spirit Maker Reflux Still
AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby Moonshyner » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:15 pm

Here's the pic of my Inkbird....
Moonshyner

AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby schoolofmonkey » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:28 pm

Moonshyner wrote:Here's the pic of my Inkbird....

Thanks for that mate, make sense now.

I found one at Kegland:
https://www.kegland.com.au/60cm-thermow ... luded.html
schoolofmonkey

Postby Moonshyner » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:26 pm

That's where I got mine from.
I wasn't sure if I could name the seller on this forum.
Hope it comes in handy for you.
Moonshyner

AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby schoolofmonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:29 pm

So I got the thermowell, easy install with a Dremel, about 1c difference from the having the probe on the outside to having it in the well., I had to use a little Vaseline to get it to slide down correctly, plus it'll help for heat transfer from the well to the probe.

I was using a longer meat thermometer to check the temps, but I notice that's way out compared to the probe in the well, the thermometer read 3c difference, but I is only measuring the top, most likely most of the foam, top of the wash.
schoolofmonkey

Postby Moonshyner » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:44 pm

Attaching the probe onto the side of the fermenter is a PITA.
I couldn't do that as I used a heat wrap that encircled the whole fermenter.
Have done with a heat belt as the belt is towards the bottom of the fermenter.
A heat pad could be used....but then the dead yeast on the bottom is heated/boiled/mixed through the wash. Not desirable.
The thermowell gives an indication of the temp at a given level...I keep the bottom of mine around 3/4 way down the fermenter.
I also wrap the fermenter with a blanket to help keep the heat in.
Moonshyner

AlcoEngine Pot Still

Postby schoolofmonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:02 pm

Moonshyner wrote:Attaching the probe onto the side of the fermenter is a PITA.
I couldn't do that as I used a heat wrap that encircled the whole fermenter.
Have done with a heat belt as the belt is towards the bottom of the fermenter.
A heat pad could be used....but then the dead yeast on the bottom is heated/boiled/mixed through the wash. Not desirable.
The thermowell gives an indication of the temp at a given level...I keep the bottom of mine around 3/4 way down the fermenter.
I also wrap the fermenter with a blanket to help keep the heat in.

Yeah that's where I got mine, 3/4 of the way down, I took it all the way to the bottom, then pulled it up slightly, I did notice a 0.2/0.3c change when doing that.
Surprisingly easy to install, will grab a few more for the other fermenters, shame nowhere local has the 60cm ones.
I had been running 3 of the same sugar washes, so it was pretty easy just to use 1 temp controller for the 3 heat mats, but now I'm starting to do more variations, (currently doing a entry level grain whiskey) I have to up the game a bit more.

Summer is so much easier, where my fementers are, it's easy to get cool air to them from the air con, you just use a pedestal fan to direct the cool air onto them, winter has been a collection of LERWAY 21W Seedling Heat Mats and blankets at night, during the day they stay consistently around 22-23c with no help.

I've moved to pitching my yeast for sugar washes around the recommend fermentation temps 23-25c, not the 30c the packets suggest, takes longer to start (usually overnight), but they don't run away on you temp wise.
schoolofmonkey

Return to Beginners Questions