Caramalt tins

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Caramalt tins

Postby Hepcat » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:00 am

Just wondering does morgans caramalt or any other tin of liquid malt have amalaise or other to convert starch to fermentable sugar eg if I boiled 4kg of corn and added a tin of malt would that covert the starch from the corn into sugar
Thanks in advance
Hepcat

equipment: Home made column

Re: Caramalt tins

Postby renedox » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:54 pm

Liquid malt doesn't normally include enzymes, you will have to add your own
renedox

equipment: Copperhead pot still

Copperhead reflux still

Air still

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm

Any condensed liquid malt is boiled to reduce amount of water so it kills the enzymes.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Hepcat » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:50 pm

renedox wrote:Liquid malt doesn't normally include enzymes, you will have to add your own

bluc wrote:Any condensed liquid malt is boiled to reduce amount of water so it kills the enzymes.

Thank You Rendox & Bluc
I was hoping, but adding the liquid malt must add some flavor to the mix and some fermentable sugar I am guessing
just trying to make the best whiskey that I can, Tried the cornflakes, multi grain, wheatbix, etc. and not so happy, tried UJJSM a bit better, now trying - boiling the corn making a bloody thick porridge then I added the caramalt and some water to cool it down. But still too thick, so I added a packet of glucoamylase and it thinned down a lot, but not happy yet. So I used the angel yellow label yeast about 60ml by measure (2 nips) not sure of weight and went on holidays for 3 weeks all fermented out and the corn and yeast all settled to the bottom of the fermenter so I syphoned as much as I dared to a 2nd fermenter tipped the used corn into a brew in a bag let it drip into a the 2nd fermenter and poured the leftovers into some 2 litre coke bottles and let it settle for a few days and pored the transparent wash off the top and added to the wash in the 2nd fermenter and waited another couple of days for the wash to settle got about 6mm yeast settle to the bottom.
added 4 litre of 40%abv cornflake whiskey to the wash and distilled it at 75%abv by adjusting the reflux, until temp reached 92deg. Then started doing running cuts getting another half-liter before the tails started to appear. ended up with 5.5 liter of very intersting spirit at 72% for generation 1
Repeated the wash last week. fermented out yesterday so will start with the corn straining and settling will add 1st gen etc. next week and distill.
Here is hoping all the stuffing around was worth it, I’ll find out in a few months.
Hepcat

equipment: Home made column

Postby bluc » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:55 am

Adds lots flavour and yes fermentables :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Beginners Questions