2500 budget what would you buy?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

2500 budget what would you buy?

Postby Pisshead74 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:47 pm

I like my rum and bourbon and don't mind making my own mashes , have enough room in shed and 10 and 15A power and water close by .

Currently running turbo 500 with column for neutral washes and alembic dome for strip runs and when other batches fermented will do a spirit run.

I have a 125l stainless fermenter so ideally 100l boiler is an option .

What do guys recommend for a new setup with info provided ?
Pisshead74

equipment: Turbo 5004

Re: 2500 budget what would you buy?

Postby bluc » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:57 pm

100l boiler and and a plated still/bubbler. Have talk to andrew he will help with prices etc. Let you know your options :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Yonder » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:12 pm

Personally, I’d buy a shit load of copper and make just what you want. A copper pot is what you want for bourbon or rum and won’t cost near what you have to spend, depending on what your size requirements are. And there’s the great satisfaction of making something great out of “nothing.” :dance: ‘Course if your in a hurry, Andrew’s there for you. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yonder

equipment: 10 gal copper pot w/doubler and a lot of enthusiasm

Postby RC Al » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:08 am

Convert the 125 fermenter to a boiler?

You won't need that nasty beer stuff after you get that going lols

Consider going 6" with less bells n whistles if you can work out a cheap large boiler.

Use all of those 25 amps, find more if you can.

Yonders idea is the best bang for buck if you have time and a workspace, construction skills just takes practice and copper mistakes can be traded in at the scrappy. Very few seem to have time these days
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Pisshead74 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:34 am

The fermenter does actually double as a boiler and has provision to fit a three ring burner under it , do have a mechanical background and time so best I head on over to the build it threads and have a good read and see if it's something I want to have a crack at
Pisshead74

equipment: Turbo 5004

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:48 pm

G'Day mate,
If you are going the build route and lets say you go 4" with 3" site glass's then a 3" or 75mm holesaw is the best tool to use, just drill into the 4" with the holesaw then I used the holesaw to drill thru some 3" thick plywood. Then using a wood saw cut one side thru to the 3" hole you made. As I do have a bridgeport mill I just lined up the wood jig then clamped it down to hold the 3" pipe nice and tight and slowly lowered the 3" holesaw thru the pipe to make the mating fitting on the 4" which will be a spoton fit. Then carefully applying flux so none of it dribbles one can soft solder the joint quite easily with gentle heat.
As you don't put in a location we don't know where you are and if you want more tips just open a build thread and ask away any questions.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Beginners Questions