T500 Spirit Still with 2 x 2 Inch Bubbler Plates

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

T500 Spirit Still with 2 x 2 Inch Bubbler Plates

Postby Battlesloth » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:30 pm

Hello Distillers,

Hoping to seek some assistance and if my mad idea to raise the ABV percentage with 2 w inch bubbler plates, however I suspect I know the issue but before taking further action seeing if anyone else has some feedback, idea's or its just not possible 8-} .

As shown in first picture when running in single plate the T500 Reflux condenser is overloading the plate, no luck with temp to make any meaningful difference. I suspect the issue is with the single bubbler and the plate holes not allowing enough to drain, I also have another second plate I can run but yet to try as suspect same issue.

Looking at other single bubbler plate setup many have a single larger hole on one side which I suspect may fix the issue and allow the second plate to run as well.

Or

Would separating the water line to have better control and temp,

I suspect the plate is not allowing the drain and causes it to puke out all at once. Great for stripping but want to fix this for final run.

Any idea suggestion or wrong setup to try for bubbler and either run as sight glass only or pack with more media to increase column length ?

Some other photo of plate and only other item changed was added the refractory copper for packing as shown.

Any ideas or suggestion great full

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Battlesloth

equipment: T500 Spirit Still

Re: T500 Spirit Still with 2 x 2 Inch Bubbler Plates

Postby RC Al » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:19 am

Seperating the lines may work.

Those plates have a very small effective operating range due to the holes, you may get it to ballance out, but your idea of just using packing instead of the plate is your best option for ease of operation.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Re: T500 Spirit Still with 2 x 2 Inch Bubbler Plates

Postby Battlesloth » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:34 pm

Thanks,

I tried separating the water line and tried the different water flow and temp but still have the issue on the top plate overloading. I guess it start producing at 57c and then will shoot up to 70 as build in column and spits out. The second plate or lower plate is fine but I think if I want to continue maybe drill to larger whole in the top plate for second and try that. Other wise will remove bubbler plate and maybe just use bottom as sight glass second as additional column packing.

Just checking if anyone else has tried of managed to get working correctly, I guess it is not directly designed for this, standard run works fine at 46-50c without issue or mods. Just trying to get higher ABV at end (Sugar Wash Turbo Yeast)

I was looking at these Bubblers as they appear totally different,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09M2MMH1R? ... e=osi&th=1

then I am wondering did i install mine correctly looking at these images.

Do you think when these come in stock or can find somewhere to buy the plates only would fix issue ?.

Also if I added the tower in picture to 4 bubblers is there any height limit you need to worry about now I was told dont go past 0cm extra height ?.

Soo very new only 4 run in so far so still working it all out, may just bite bullet and go for a 3-4 inch setup maybe.

Any thoughts welcome.
Battlesloth

equipment: T500 Spirit Still

Return to Beginners Questions