Re-distilling oaked whiskey

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re-distilling oaked whiskey

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:05 pm

I have some WBAB that I pot stilled and jarred up with some oak dominoes. After about 5-6 months it was tasting fine but now, after about a year or so, it is tasting bitter. I can only put it down to perhaps putting too many dominoes in each jar (3 in each 3 litre jar). In any case, my question is, can I run it through a reflux still and end up with vodka, or at least get rid of the bitterness? I have about 15 litres of this at 65% ABV so would like to use it if possible. BTW this same question could be applied to many alcohol substances, such as beer or wine. I have often wondered about the appropriateness for use of these substances in a reflux still as well.
pistagain
Site Donor

equipment: Water jacketed copper column still with extension column. 50 litre keg boiler

Re: Re-distilling oaked whiskey

Postby The Stig » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:10 pm

You can , water to 40% or less and reflux it for a neutral or…..
Do anther wash and try adding white dog to the Oakes stuff to dilute the flavour .
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:56 pm

Distill a few bottles back to 40% before diluting with white dog and stick them in a cupboard and forget about them for a year. I did this and the bitterness smoothed right out and I regretted diluting the rest with white dog.
It does not always work but often time fixes many of our, umm let’s call them test cases.
Or you can resist I’ll at 40%, it might not be an instant fix but not much in this hobby is instant
Good luck whatever you decide
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby pistagain » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. :text-thankyoublue:
pistagain
Site Donor

equipment: Water jacketed copper column still with extension column. 50 litre keg boiler

Return to Beginners Questions