Feints run - Tails

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Feints run - Tails

Postby B-Man » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:42 pm

Done my first proper feints run the other day.

I normally make hard cuts so there's probably plenty of good alcohol still in there.
I took 330ml as fores then took the next 15L
Still took 4L of tails at 90% and then just ran the next 2L out without the RC.
Let it air for 2 days and tasted it.
The stuff I kept taste absolution delicious. Had a nice sweet taste to it. Even at 92%.
The last bottle of tails @40% taste so bloody terrible. My partner was dry reaching. She claimed it to taste like petrol.
Normally the tails just taste like water.

Is it normal for the tails of a feints run to be so bad? It had the really strong fores/heads bite from a really slow head compression and all the solvents put together but at a 40% abv.
I could have got more out but stopped after that bottle.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Re: Feints run - Tails

Postby BigRig » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:03 pm

That's normal for tails of a feints run to be undrinkable.

What was the feints off ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:10 am

I can’t tell you what the worst jar tastes like sorry, once I get to tails i stop tasting. Once I know I don’t want it I don’t bother finding out by how much I don’t want it :teasing-neener:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby iOnaBender » Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:43 am

Wellsy wrote:I can’t tell you what the worst jar tastes like sorry, once I get to tails i stop tasting. Once I know I don’t want it I don’t bother finding out by how much I don’t want it :teasing-neener:

:text-+1:

I find cuts are definitely more pronounced on a feints run

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby B-Man » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:34 am

BigRig wrote:That's normal for tails of a feints run to be undrinkable.

What was the feints off ?

Definately undrinkable
It was a TFFV (not the batches that went green/ yellow)

Wellsy wrote:I can’t tell you what the worst jar tastes like sorry, once I get to tails i stop tasting. Once I know I don’t want it I don’t bother finding out by how much I don’t want it :teasing-neener:

Haha yeah I won't be either. I was thinking it would be like normal tails that I could chuck back in another feints run. It appears not.

Cheers.
B-Man

Postby RC Al » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:02 am

If it was brown spirit, keeping feints of feints for 'ron works on the flavour front, not as much for recoverable booze.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby B-Man » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:29 pm

quote="RC Al"]If it was brown spirit, keeping feints of feints for 'ron works on the flavour front, not as much for recoverable booze.[/quote]

What's Ron works?

So I only just cleaned my still about 3 runs before the feints run.
After doing the feints run with the nastiest tails ever my next 2 wine runs have that same lingering taste. We collect into stubbies (not the feints run) and taste after a few days so don't normally taste them while running so we didn't pick up on it.
The first run (white wine) after the feints basically the whole lot taste tainted and the second run (Red wine) taste ok from stubbies 2-11 then has the same tainted taste through to 12-18 and then tails taste like normal.

Do I need to clean it again already?
Has that nastiness embedded itself into my still?
Last edited by B-Man on Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Man

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:48 pm

I am not sure if this helps or not mate. But having distilled many times the BWKO wash I got cocky and barely ruined the still between runs.

I noticed over time the spirit was developing a taste I did not like, no stress time will fix that. I thought I would pull out my elements and found some burnt crud on the underside of the element which was tainting the spirit.

A feints run should not have any scorching but perhaps there is a build up on your element, if in fact you have exposed elements
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby BigRig » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:59 pm

'Ron works = later on, works
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby B-Man » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:00 pm

Wellsy wrote:I am not sure if this helps or not mate. But having distilled many times the BWKO wash I got cocky and barely ruined the still between runs.

I noticed over time the spirit was developing a taste I did not like, no stress time will fix that. I thought I would pull out my elements and found some burnt crud on the underside of the element which was tainting the spirit.

A feints run should not have any scorching but perhaps there is a build up on your element, if in fact you have exposed elements

Didn't expose the elements but the boiler only gets a rinse out.
Just strange the feints tails was done and terrible then the next 2 runs taste like it. And like nothing i have ever tasted before.
Thought maybe the oils had got into everything.

I gave the plates a vinegar rinse and then a hot water flush. And washed the scrubbers so hopefully that has fixed it. Will know soon enough when my next mash is done.
Last edited by B-Man on Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Man

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:31 am

Apologies B man I was not suggesting you exposed your elements. I was asking if they are exposed elements. Exposed elements are ones that sit directly in the wash. This means over time small particles in the wash can stick to the element and burn. Simplest way to check is to feel along the element, assuming you have soft office worker hands, or remove the element from the keg and have a look. Not saying that is the issue but it is a possibility.
Wellsy

Postby B-Man » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:12 pm

Sorry misread your comment. Yes exposed elements and
And does probably have some crud stuck to it.
Will pull them out and clean too.
Taste more solvent like than burnt dinner but no harm in cleaning them.

I tipped a small sample into a small bottle for future reference and to show prolly why you make cuts and put a lid on it that didn't quite fit and without even touching the spirit the lid had already taken on the smell.
then put the rest of feints tails into a container for fire starter along with some heads and the glass jar it was stored in has the same smell I couldn't get rid of with rinsing so ended up putting does in there and shaking it around which surprisingly smelt better.
Ended up having to wash it out with dish washing liquid and a hot rinse then does and another rinse.
I will never collect feints tails again.
B-Man

Return to Beginners Questions