Is boiled yeast enough nutrient?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Is boiled yeast enough nutrient?

Postby clearspirit » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:37 pm

Hi All,

I've been reading for days (and days...) and still can't find the answer, so my apologies if this noob question has already been answered. And if it has, what search term should I have used please?

I'm trying to make palatable vodka through a T500, without carbon filtering, and in the interests of burning less coal (2200W for 5 or 6 hours!) I'd like to achieve that with only one run.

After maybe a dozen turbo yeast runs at 55-60C (with two-stage clearing agent, boiling enhancer, and carbon filtering at 1 drop/sec which resulted in no hangover nice vodka according to many others), I'm very much looking forward to distilling the TPW bubbling merrily as I write. I've read somewhere here (can't remember which of the dozens of threads) that a TPW stripping run can smell tomato'ey (no surprise) which is removed with the much slower spirit run.

So it makes sense that the less flavours I add to the wash means less flavours in the distillate, so taking that logic further it seems to make sense to make a wash from only sugar and yeast. I've read more than once that boiled yeast makes excellent nutrient, but I can't find any evidence of anyone trying just yeast. I've seen one thread where someone said to not use both DAP and yeast, but try just one or the other, but I haven't seen/couldn't find the results if any. Hence my first question – is boiled yeast enough nutrient? Or do I have to add something else like tomato paste, or DAP? (which I've also read can add flavours...)

Secondly – has anyone “Run a T500, the Proper Way” (45-50C, making cuts) with TPW and made a nice drop first run that doesn't require filtering?

Lastly – If I HAVE to do a stripping run, would that simply mean removing the packing from the column and running it at the manufacturer's maximum 65C? Or can I run hotter seeing as I'm not worried about cuts yet? I see one brewer on Youtube removing the column packing and running at 160F/71C which doesn't sound like too much above the manufacturer's recommendations – can anyone chime in here?

I have yet to do the math, but I'm thinking it may be more environmentally friendly to carbon filter than do two runs. Then thinking about the fuel used to mine and make the carbon is doing my head in...

Is my one-run no-filter goal just pissing in the wind...? Or do I have to blaze my own trail and try a yeast only wash?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any advice.
clearspirit

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Is boiled yeast enough nutrient?

Postby B-Man » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:52 pm

clearspirit wrote:Hi All,

I've been reading for days (and days...) and still can't find the answer, so my apologies if this noob question has already been answered. And if it has, what search term should I have used please?

I'm trying to make palatable vodka through a T500, without carbon filtering, and in the interests of burning less coal (2200W for 5 or 6 hours!) I'd like to achieve that with only one run.

After maybe a dozen turbo yeast runs at 55-60C (with two-stage clearing agent, boiling enhancer, and carbon filtering at 1 drop/sec which resulted in no hangover nice vodka according to many others), I'm very much looking forward to distilling the TPW bubbling merrily as I write. I've read somewhere here (can't remember which of the dozens of threads) that a TPW stripping run can smell tomato'ey (no surprise) which is removed with the much slower spirit run.

So it makes sense that the less flavours I add to the wash means less flavours in the distillate, so taking that logic further it seems to make sense to make a wash from only sugar and yeast. I've read more than once that boiled yeast makes excellent nutrient, but I can't find any evidence of anyone trying just yeast. I've seen one thread where someone said to not use both DAP and yeast, but try just one or the other, but I haven't seen/couldn't find the results if any. Hence my first question – is boiled yeast enough nutrient? Or do I have to add something else like tomato paste, or DAP? (which I've also read can add flavours...)

if you want a sugar wash try this viewtopic.php?f=32&t=199

clearspirit wrote:Secondly – has anyone “Run a T500, the Proper Way” (45-50C, making cuts) with TPW and made a nice drop first run that doesn't require filtering?

I made a TFFV when I used my T500 and ran it as fast as it would go without dropping abv. ( 94-95%)
I collected in stubbies and ran at a L/hour. started off slow and went a little faster each stubbie until the abv dropped (after correction) then I wound it back a little. worked out my L/Hour rate and then that's what I aimed for each time...
spirit runs took about 3.5-4 hours.
never looked at the temp gauge other than to ensure it was stable...

I have upgraded my still now but all except my feints run have always been a single distill. make a decent wash and you don't need to double distill or carbon filter.

clearspirit wrote:Lastly – If I HAVE to do a stripping run, would that simply mean removing the packing from the column and running it at the manufacturer's maximum 65C? Or can I run hotter seeing as I'm not worried about cuts yet? I see one brewer on Youtube removing the column packing and running at 160F/71C which doesn't sound like too much above the manufacturer's recommendations – can anyone chime in here?

doing stripping runs apparently uses less power and takes less time with a better quality product.

If you want to do stripping runs separate the reflux and pc cooling water and just run water through the pc. Run it as fast as you can making sure your aren't producing vapours. I left the packing in... didn't seem to bother it as I wasn't forcing reflux.

clearspirit wrote:I have yet to do the math, but I'm thinking it may be more environmentally friendly to carbon filter than do two runs. Then thinking about the fuel used to mine and make the carbon is doing my head in...

Is my one-run no-filter goal just pissing in the wind...? Or do I have to blaze my own trail and try a yeast only wash?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any advice.

If your worried about the environment get solar panels and run in summer and that removes any environmental issues you have with running the still. do a single distill if your not happy run it again.
I only do my runs for just over half the year using 95% of my own solar. (time and cost are my main reasons rather than paying 40c/kwh I use my solar at 8c)
the other thing is depending the state you live you might be surprised that if stilling during the day how much power is generate from renewables... be it solar farms wind generation or other solar owners exporting back into the grid. in SA the state can hit negative prices (wholesale/ amber electric) due to the amount of renewables.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby iOnaBender » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:55 am

Early on I wondered similar things.
I was set right by one of the more experienced members of the forum. DO NOT remove the packing in a newer model (plastic top cap) T500, the cap will get to hot, distorted and never seal again.

Cheers
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby clearspirit » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:18 am

Thanks B-Man!

B-Man wrote:I made a TFFV when I used my T500 and ran it as fast as it would go without dropping abv. ( 94-95%)
I collected in stubbies and ran at a L/hour. started off slow and went a little faster each stubbie until the abv dropped (after correction) then I wound it back a little. worked out my L/Hour rate and then that's what I aimed for each time...
spirit runs took about 3.5-4 hours.
never looked at the temp gauge other than to ensure it was stable...

Will give this a go next run! For curiousity, and to perhaps avoid this newbie overdoing it, what temp was that?

B-Man wrote:I have upgraded my still now but all except my feints run have always been a single distill. make a decent wash and you don't need to double distill or carbon filter.

Please excuse my confusion - is that with your upgraded still or the T500?

B-Man wrote:If you want to do stripping runs separate the reflux and pc cooling water and just run water through the pc. Run it as fast as you can making sure your aren't producing vapours. I left the packing in... didn't seem to bother it as I wasn't forcing reflux.

Makes sense. Awesome info! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
clearspirit

Postby clearspirit » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:20 am

iOnaBender wrote:Early on I wondered similar things.
I was set right by one of the more experienced members of the forum. DO NOT remove the packing in a newer model (plastic top cap) T500, the cap will get to hot, distorted and never seal again.

Cheers

Thanks Bender - gonna replace the plastic cap with copper today regardless of packing/no packing. Never liked that plastic from day one...
clearspirit

Postby B-Man » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:41 pm

clearspirit wrote:Will give this a go next run! For curiousity, and to perhaps avoid this newbie overdoing it, what temp was that?

I never looked at temp. just gauge the stream and use the collection vessel and time as a guide. start off slow and increase it the next stubbie... might take a few runs to dial it in 100% but each run you should have a guide on where to start. once you get into the tails the abv drops and it takes alot longer so you cant keep trying to dial it in. start again at the next run.
to get the L/Hr = collected volume (L)/Time (mins) *60
so a 330ml stubbie is .330/8*60 - 2.47L/hour that is my rough collection for the new still I cant remember what rate I ended up at with the T500 but it also depends on the wash abv.
you can convert it to temp when you have it dialled in if you really need to but I never used the temp.

clearspirit wrote:
B-Man wrote:I have upgraded my still now but all except my feints run have always been a single distill. make a decent wash and you don't need to double distill or carbon filter.

Please excuse my confusion - is that with your upgraded still or the T500?

the T500.
the new still I have tried some double distills and they definitely do taste better but there's nothing wrong with my first run. mainly because I take quite hard cuts. probably only bottle 50% of what I collect and the other 50% goes to the feints keg.
that gives me a pretty quick feints build up to do feints run which taste delicious. so I don't feel the need to double distill.

Just get some seat time and get things consistent and you will soon work out what works for you and any little changes you want to make.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby RC Al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:45 pm

Pretty sure somewhere one of the recipes is just boiled yeast, a dash of Epsom salts and a b multivitamin.

Dont take the yeast past 45- 50° temps above this vape many vitamins of their goodness. Boiling still works as there's a bunch of protein for the new yeast to eat, but yeah...we get Elvis, not Usain Bolt.

Stripping with the packing in will seperate more water and flavour from the wash. See what you can manage with separate cooling and the copper top.

Diluting to 15-20% for the spirit run will remove more flavour

Don't stress the power aspect too much, saving literally a couple of dollars worth of power for a batch ain't getting you a sports car and doesn't contribute that much to the total cost per litre.

That carbon isn't free and requires replacement or reactivating often (roasting in an oven for hours), a sponge will only hold so much.

Things to consider, a column extension and a power controller.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Beginners Questions