Cleaning & Sac runs for a new still

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Cleaning & Sac runs for a new still

Postby MattSmith » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Ok, I've just put my still together and have a couple of questions re the first couple of runs.

Cleaning - citric acid or vinegar (or both)? Still is stainless with copper mesh (I'll clean that in citric acid prior to use). Plan was to run one of these (could do both) and then run water to rinse everything out. Any advantages of one over the other?

Sac run - If it's been cleaned really well what does this do? I was going to run a TPW but just wanted to understand what it achieves?

Thanks
MattSmith
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 50L Milk Can
FSD 4" pot (3" PC) with packed section & RC
Still Spirits Air Still

Re: Cleaning & Sac runs for a new still

Postby iOnaBender » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:25 pm

Hi Matt,

I'm under the believe that you only need to do a vinegar run on a copper still (correct me if i'm wrong). If you've washed all of your stainless steel parts with a dishwashing detergent and rinsed well you only need to do a sacrificial run with a wash of your choice. TPW will make a great sacrificial run to get all the smegma (new word!) out that the original cleaning didn't. Keep it all (other than foreshots) for future cleaning runs. That is what I was initially instructed to do.

Cheers
Last edited by iOnaBender on Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby BigRig » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:35 pm

MattSmith wrote:Ok, I've just put my still together and have a couple of questions re the first couple of runs.

Cleaning - citric acid or vinegar (or both)? Still is stainless with copper mesh (I'll clean that in citric acid prior to use). Plan was to run one of these (could do both) and then run water to rinse everything out. Any advantages of one over the other?

Sac run - If it's been cleaned really well what does this do? I was going to run a TPW but just wanted to understand what it achieves?

Thanks

If its new and its an FSD still then put the stainless in the dishwasher and copper in a citric acid bath then its good to go
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:01 pm

100% what these 2 said .
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby brewster2 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:47 pm

i have in past used methanol from previous batches mixed with water worked good for me
brewster2

equipment: 5 star bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions