Recycling feints

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Recycling feints

Postby Scamp » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:40 pm

Hi all, just finishing up a BWKO spirit run through the 5star pot and thinking I might give recycling the feints in with the next wash a go.

I am assuming ii still need to do a stripping run first then recycle the feints with the low wines, is this right?

Also does it matter how much feints you put in, should it be like 50/50 low wines/feints or does this not really matter?

Just thinking that when I do an all feints run I toss the feints of feints so when recycling should I just toss a bit extra of those feints?

Cheers Scamp
Scamp

equipment: FSD 4" Mod Pot
50L Milk Can Boiler

Re: Recycling feints

Postby Wellsy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:26 am

Hello scamp.
With my pot still I always waited until I had a full feints run so I knew what to toss after the feints run. There actually is no right or wrong way as I believe if you did a feints of feints run your return would be small for the time and power cost of heating up and running the still.
You idea I of tossing a little extra each time will work. I liked doing low wine runs and all feints runs so I got similar results each time I did a run but that is just me being anal lol.

Whatever works for you is what is best.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Scamp » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:42 pm

Thanks Wellsy, I have done a couple of all feints runs and agree you know roughly how the run should go. The product is still on oak for a while longer so I can't really say if I like it better yet.

I think I'll try the recycle method and see how it goes and how much extra time it adds to a spirit run. At the least it would free up some storage space for a bigger hearts cut which would then be taken up with more storage on oak.

If only I had more space, more barrels and more time, wouldn't life be grand.

Cheers Scamp
Scamp

50L Milk Can Boiler

Postby Wellsy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:03 pm

Lol
As Alice Cooper once said “ welcome to my nightmare “ lol
Couple with that the older it gets the better it tastes, the more you drink, the harder it is to let it get old lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby B-Man » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:53 pm

I found keeping the low wines and feints separate the best.

also found by taking nice tight cuts ie. taking only the best and any jars that were like its good but might have a hint of heads or tails I left for the feints run it then gave me a great hearts cut in my feints run. My very first feints run was and still is the best tasting run I have produced.
where as after doing it for a while and taking that little bit extra knowing you wouldn't notice it when all mixed and leaving only the crap for the feints I wasn't getting a very big hearts cut, didn't taste as good as my first feints run and nearly wasn't worth the effort.

So by only taking some of the good stuff, rather than trying to get it all in your normal runs and leaving it for the feints run makes the feints run even better as well.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby Scamp » Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:29 am

Thanks B-man, some food for thought there.

Cheers Scamp
Scamp

50L Milk Can Boiler

Postby The Stig » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:21 am

I always recycle each run
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Beginners Questions